97 Quattro 1.9 TDI

Scott Grady

Reaction score
Hi

Im thinking of buying an A4 quattro but im a bit torn. I could spend 4-6k buying a 2002-2004 1.9 PD with 100- 140k miles or £1300 buying a very clean 1997 150k mile non PD with a years mot and partial service history.

Im seriously tempted by the old one as I had a passat with the non PD engine and it was a great and very frugal car. The wife has a 2002 Passat TDI 130 and its a really good car too but its thirstyer than my old one was and from what ive read the PD engines can be higher maintenance.

Could some of you folks give me your input on how these older quattros get on with higher mileage?
Thanks
Scott

I had a 90bhp 1.9TDi (2wd tho) B5 before my 1.8TQS and it's actually my dad's now. It has done 223k (with FSH) and absolutely nothing ever goes wrong with it. Superbly frugal, reliable car. As long as they are serviced properly they go forever.

Stick to the VE engine if it's economy and reliability what you after ! I have 2 cars for sale: 1998 audi a4 tdi quattro (final edition) 145k genuine and 2000 audi a4 saloon with same VE engine- 155k both with full history. Both will do in excess of 55Mpg average and the FWD can go as high as 70Mpg on motorway but that means a really boring drive ! I like the quattro so much i decided to make my own 6 speed quattro (transplant a 1.9 tdi AFN engine into a former v6 tdi quattro sport) ! I want the 6 speed gearbox as i can use a larger clutch and the engine i am using is already running 200 Bhp with potential for more ! The beauty with the old AFN engine is that it can go like clappers (double it's factory output) yet still being reliable and frugal !
DSCF3733.jpg

DSCF3734.jpg

DSCF3731.jpg

DSCF3735.jpg

DSCF3732.jpg

DSCF3750-1.jpg

DSCF3749-1.jpg

DSCF3748-1.jpg

DSCF3751-1.jpg

DSCF3752-1.jpg

Well i got the train down to see it with cash in my pocket and came back the same way. The engine had a strange tinny sort of scraping/rattling noise the clutch felt like it was offering to slip and the drivers side electric window was not working. A waste of a day and £100 of rail/bus fare.

Im thinking now about splashing out a bit more and going for an A6 allroad tdi as the reason we want the 4wd is for the snow so the allroad could be a better option than the regular quattro.

Thanks for the advice though guys
Cheers
Scott

Unless you have deep pockets with plenty of cash in them forget about the allroad. It's a nice motor but when (not if) the air suspension goes wrong it's big bucks.

Ive got deep pockets but short arms so maybe your right i should probably give the allroad a miss

As mentioned above, the allroad is a very capable motor but the suspension can be a problem and they do have their quirks ! I have one as a workhorse and apart from service and tyres it does not ask for anything. It will need a few new suspension arms soon but they are pricey £150 each (lower ones) so they can wait for a while ! Mine is just a workhorse and a "work in project" and it will need a lick of paint soon but it's sturdy and very solid built and i would go to the end of the world in it without fear !

Im torn now!<br><br> The one in question is a 54 plate limited edition with 107k it had a belt water pump etc at 90k and has apparently had a new clutch and 2 new air bags in the front comes with a full service history and years mot.<br><br>its advertised at £6600 but im sure i could get it for £6k or below<br><br>http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/audi-allroad-quattro-limited-edition-54reg/84637676<br><br><br>Sorry this thread has gone OT by the way<br><br>

Looks nice that and with the right kit ! I would take a ride in one if i were you and don't be surprised of the fuel economy, they can barely muster 35Mpg ! However you feel the quality from the moment you shut the door ! Here's mine on 20" s8 rims...i have a few more bits to gather then it's booked in the bodyshop for a spot of color codding !
DSCF3755.jpg

DSCF3754.jpg

DSCF3753.jpg

DSCF3756.jpg