B6 S4 wheels over B5 S4 brakes - won't go?

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
My latest acquisition, a '99 S4, has a problem. I can't fit wheels over the front brake calipers without fitting spacers.

I would have thought that a set of 18" B6 S4 rims would have bolted straight over the 'standard' B5 S4 brakes. But, they sit on the face of the caliper without a spacer fitted, so I've had to space the fronts out... which I find strange.

Here's a couple of pics I took, I apologise for the poor quality, but can anyone identify these brakes as standard or non-standard at all?

s4_bra10.jpg

s4_bra11.jpg

And they're mounted on to this...

s410.jpg

Basically, B5 S4 calipers are ****.

They stick out about 7 feet from the disk, hence the problem.

I'd fit some B6 S4 brakes, which is a nice upgrade and will fix it.

Alternatively, some B7 A4's and C5 A6's/Allroads have a caliper thats the same as the B6 S4 ones in design, but mounts up with the standard B5 S4 disks, potentially cheaper that way.

this happened to me! fitted b6 alloys no problem till i put new pads on then the same issue! 5mm spacers fix it till my rs4 b5's go on

If your using spacers make sure you fit longer bolts.

The stock bolts are only just long enough, and with a 5mm spacer the bolt only engages half way thru the hub.

Dont i know it! 3mm probably just about get away with it but 5mm use longer bolts or else you`ll be replacing a hub and having your wheel collapse inside your arch like i had!