Anyone bought one of these....(central locking)

gotta be worth a punt for £25. You've not lost much if it proves ****e really imo

Aragorn will be along shortly, he had one on his old FWD A4... been fitted a couple of years and still working fine :)

yeh, keys arent the best of quality and the flip mechanism has jammed open on both keys, although it lasted 18 months when we still had the car, so maybe the issue is my parents being hamfisted!

Will a locksmith be able to just match your key, also was it hard to get wired up?

I found it easy to wire in, but i have a fairly decent grasp of car electrics and all the wiring diagrams to hand.

I know others have tried and struggled, but i'd think it shouldnt be too difficult to get the basics working.

The keys can be tricky, and theres two things you need to do. You need to get the blade cut to match the car, which you can get a locksmith to do, or even your local supermarket key maker, that said, the two local places i tried couldnt do it, as the copy key wouldnt stay clamped in their vice properly.

I ended up sending mine to a bloke that advertises on ebay, who cut them from a photo of the original key.

You then need to transfer the immobiliser chip from your original key to the new fob. This bit requires some fiddling, as the chip is glued into the original key. I used a stanley knife to carefully slice away the plastic around the chip until i could release it from the glue.

Cheers for the replies....i would only want the fob to open the doors. Not interested in getting the blades cut, although i know were i can get them done if needed.

Re the key cutting:... I went to 3 branches of Timpsons to get a spare cut. One said it was 'dealer only' (coz he couldn't be *****) The other two both said they could 'try' to do it but couldn't guarantee my key wouldn't fly out of the machine so I left it. I'll probably use the photo method when I find my camera again

I bought the exact same one for the Polo was very cheap feel si gave it back.
I ended up buying the comfort unit and 2 keys from eBay worked out more but O.E