She broke :-( oil everywhere

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Well that wasn't the day I'd planned. Went to chat cars at my brothers as normal for a Sunday, mate of mine said mine sounded quite good. As I hadn't heard it I threw him the keys. It sounded really good until he pulled up again and I spotted the trail of oil.

Upon investigation the seal has failed for the modene. Saddly it looks like somebody has changed it before but pinched the seal wrecking it and bodging it with instant gasket.

Looks like I'm getting a lift home now and will have to pick a new seal up tomorrow. Thank goodness for the company car.

Last edited:
Just think to yourself at least it's a cheap fix and not a head or rocker gasket job !

Quite relieved it happened when it did. Had it gone on my way home it would have failed on the motorway so anything could have happened on the road and I could have been left with a scrap engine. Will upload a pic of the bodged gasket once I'm cleaned, fed and watered.

IMAG0242.jpg

Last edited:
Ah ok, never heard it called that before!

That gasket doesnt look OE, the oem one is round in profile, and has two little loops that sit on tangs on the cooler to stop it moving around.

Ahh right, confusion reigns. LoL. Doesn't surprise me, it looked like a bodge. Will try my local VAG man Murrays and see if he's got one, failing that, main dealer time.

Ahh, thank you. Can see straight away how that would work with what I have. Why bodge it for the sakes of 3 quid though? How pikey is that.

I'm just relieved it failed where it did as had it gone on the motorway that would have been oil all over lane 3 which could have had terrible consequences