Insurance Value..

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
What price Insurance Value would you put on your Insurance quote..

1997 1.8t Sport 97,000 ..I know it's silly money worth value these days but why put down too much when you would only get Book price anyway..

The car is virtually Standard apart from the factory fitted Votex body kit so modifications will be No..

I think the Book price is only Hundreds now,you cannot replace it obviously for that if you think what it's worth to yourself..

I have put the Reg in various sites and got silly quotes of between 300-500 pounds..

If you put down too much you may get over quoted and would not get that price for it anyway..

Insurance is such a minefield and a bit of a con really with quotes varying so much for the same deal..

Last edited:
The last, and only, car I was paid out for was valued by some bloke from the insurance company saying he was getting the prices from the Autotrader website:)

Is it an avant?

Not Avant no..I think you have to get has cheap has you can because your not going to get a site for it anyhow..

The more Excess you pay obviously the cheaper you will get it..

I know they are a bit cute on Modifications when it comes to paying out they will try to get out of paying so I think most guys on here have done something one way or another and if it's not mentioned and the assessor finds it when he examines the car it will be void for sure because it was not put down in the proposal..

Some send trained engineers to check the cars to look for the slightest change in Standard Spec..

Last edited:
Worth about a Grand according to that,mine is way below mileage though they say 150,000 for the year..

£26,500 when new still looks it to me..it's a lot of car for a Grand..

I will be honest I would not sell it for £5,000 what would you get for that these days..

Last edited:
That was with corrected miles, you'd have to run it again for normal miles. I think that a car which is reliable and has been serviced etc is worth £2k to the owner when you look at labour costs these days. I pay my "mechanic" £45 an hour to tell me lies:)

i have a 98 1.8 avant which i paid £950 for,when i went to insure it 1 company told me its market value was £850, 98 on r..reg 1003 thou,what was mor of a laugh this time was they wanted £10 pounds more to insure it over a mk5 golf gti on an 06 plate whats that all about,my excess is £350

Has I said you can get the Price down big-time with the Excess but you must make a choice to have cheap car insurance and be claim free or if you claim you pay the 1st say £350-£400 so they get you both ways really..

Car insurance is all such a dodgy subject look at all the different prices you get on all the comparison sites can be has much has £200 difference between some for exactly the same cover so how's that work..

No real logic to it all..

So I think the answer might be to the original question how much would you put down for the Value of a A4 1997 1.8t Sport Saloon would be about £500-£800 or somewhere in between..

That site we Buy Any Car .Com said they would buy it for
on your valuation of £340*
for your AUDI A4 SALOON 1.8 T Sport 4dr

I would sooner burn it than sell it to them for that..Can you imagine selling this for £340 Looks like and drives like new..Has said £5,000 would not buy it you would not find anything has good for that money and £340.. would not buy decent tyres for it..

2010_0421Audi10170.jpg

Last edited:
Car Values are a nightmare to gauge ,if you over value you pay a higher premium ,but get less paid out in the event of a write off,
Insurance Companies always win ,but you can argue the payout price by finding an equal condition car on Dealers Websites (Not Autotrader) but we-steal-any-car.coms price are unbelievable ,I had a Peugeot 406 est Auto fully loaded and fair condition and they offered me £130 ,traded it in and got £750 for it .

I you think the car is almost worthless just go third party!

I think the "we-steal-any-car" website only really works for cars that are actually worth money.

IE if you've got a 10k Audi, then they might offer you 9k, which while a grand down on its actual value, may well be more than a trade in, or at least the same as a trade in but works even if your new car is a private sale, and saves you messing around trying to sell the car, deal with viewings etc etc. Some people simply wouldnt have the time to arrange viewings etc, or wouldnt want strangers turning up at their house etc, so in these scenarios it has merit.

Obviously they want to make money on the car, so will always offer less than its actual retail value, i guess the problem with cheap cars is if they gave you 900quid for your 1k audi they wouldnt even cover the cost of collecting the car and sending it to somewhere to be sold, and so becuase they advertise that they buy any car, rather than "we buy cars that are saught after, will make us lots of money and will sell on easily" they simply offer buttons for older cheap cars.

I agree with that Kev only they say you get charged £49.99 (including VAT) would apply. that's their Transaction fee..

Plus you can pay £24.99 for next day cheque to your bank..

Looking at that why don't I just give them the car..

And speaking of Third Party Cover it's only a few quid in my case to go fully comp..

as i say, if your getting 9 grand for the car, then losing 50quid to a transaction fee isnt really worthy of note.

Its going to cost them more than 50quid to send a transporter round, collect your car and have it transported to a warehouse or whatever.

Effectively they dont want old cars, because they cant do anything with them. No garage wants to put them on their forecourt, so they'll flog them on to either an auction house or a scrapyard for peanuts. In the same way an insurance company that doesnt want your business will quote 4 grand for a years cover, they'll just offer a pitifully low value in the hope that you go "err no!" and go elsewhere.