Rieger RS4 Front Bumper Fitment :burning:

• Thread starter imported_VaulterTim
  • Start date
I

imported_VaulterTim

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you have any tips or pointers for the fitment of the RS4 front bumper from Rieger?

I have one and the car is actually at the bodyshop at the moment where they are TRYING to fit it... Muppets! Or so I thought...

They told me that they couldn't see how the old bumper carrier could be removed and re-installed into the new bumper. I've just been over and I'm stumped too to be honest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Also, the old mounting brackets at the sides of the original bumper would show through the side vents if they fitted properly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif They actually stick out too far at the sides so the side vents in the new bumper hit them when it's put in place and the bumper sticks out too far at the sides... again, very annoying and I cannot see how the hell it's gonna go on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Do the old bumper side-brackets get removed or trimmed or what!?

I really don't understand what's going on here so any light you guys can shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated... Damn Rieger! Grrrr.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Many thanks

Tim

P.S. My car is a Dec. '99 (facelift) model if that makes any difference...

I don't know how to do this myself, but I'm sure excursion posted a description a while ago of how he fitted an RS4 front to his B5 A4. You could try searching for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I had trouble when i got the exact same bumper so i sent it back.
From what i could see the bumper needed to be bonded onto the car.

Hi Tim

Firstly bear with it!! Its worth it- looks stunning!- see my avatar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When i had mine done they told me it was a little hassle but nothing they couldn`t sort out.

The old bumper bar is normally cut out of the old one (has little rivets or something which keeps it in) and preferably screwed and glued onto the rieger.

The Rieger bumper being a plastic cover and not having the edging the old one does (on the inside) may not use the brackets but not sure to be honest as in my research before buying it never came up- I do know it is screwed into the wings on the sides.

Send me your e-mail as being a perfectionist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wrote and gave the bodyshop a step-by-step guide which i should have lying around somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Excursion fitted a OEM RS4 bumper not a Rieger.

Some info I found:

remove old bumper, remove stock support, glue stock support onto new bumper, let dry, put bumper back on thats just basic.

Rivets and rubber thingy's, neither of which can be removed and re-attached.

Actually, you don't really need glue but it will make things easier.

Once the bumper screws into the wheel wells and onto the bumper support via the bumper support screws, nothing is going to move that thing.

But it is a bit more difficult to handle if you're dealing with two pieces instead of one.

If you have a front licence plate then you can screw the bumper to the bumper support behind this plate.

Found my old word file which I gave to bodyshop- its got clear pics too so email me if you want a copy:Below is the text part!- My advice is not to spray the foglight mounts as I chose not to as seen it done on cars and hated it.

Rieger Bumper Installation Notes

Please ensure the bumper is mounted in such a way so that it is fully removable just like a stock bumper. Please use bolts/screws (not supplied) to bolt the bumper onto the original bumper mount so it is secure.

N.B. Do not paint the foglight mounting brackets bodycolour- spray black/leave as needed,

After spraying the bumper:
1) Remove existing bumper and remove the stock reinforcement bar.
2) Mount re-inforcement bar onto the car. Dry fit the bumper and mark on the bumper (as close as possible) where the hex boltys are going through the re-inforcement. After you make your mark, drill a hole with progressive sizes to make it big enough to fit the bolt and washer through.
3) Remove the bumper again and mount the fogs.
4) The mesh can be added by various methods but it is prerferable to use 2-part proxy glue (leave overnight to dry).
5) Dry fit the bumper again.
6) Put glue all over the re-bar and in the bumper where the re-bar will mate to- lay the glue on thick!
7) Put the bumper back on and screw the bumber to the wing.
8) Tape up the bumper and let it dry for a long time! (minimum 24 hours, more may be needed)

thats a bit of an **** to fit then really, i think i will end up going for an s4 bumper and do the rs4 mod, im told the s4 bumper fits straight on and if done nicely can look v good, this 1 aint to shabby..

s4bump.jpg

Dude... doing the RS4 mod to a bumper that ain't an RS4 to start with is a fair bit of messing about... I reckon there could be just as much work as the RS4. Up to you though I guess.

I'm not exactly sure how much work is needed but I read a post on Audiworld somewhere about how to do it...

Just a sec, I'll see of I can find it... (5mins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext39.shtml

There ya go.

Actually looks like it's pretty do-able.

Just got off the phone with Docurley, legend! Thanks Doc! He gave me some very helpful pointers...

Also, Yaseen. Cheers mate. Great info. Got your PM but couldn't reply cos your box is full dude.

PM me again with your e-mail address or just e-mail me the intructions you mentioned previously, that would great.

I think we've come to a conclusion though, the guy at the bodyshop just got confused as hell when he saw the original compared to the RS4 and that transferred to me when he went off on one!

I think it's fairly straightforward once you have the old bumper carrier out of the OE bumper... it's just about how to get it out and then fixing it to the RS4 that is the fiddly bit! In actual fact he'd been chatting to one of the other guys in the 'shop while I was away and had come to pretty much the same conclusion of having to remove the bracket, then refit it to the car intstead of the bumper first, and then measure and fit the whole thing up...

We'll see how it goes and I'll let ya'll know.

Cheers again guys.

T/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Yeah now that would be good!!!

Got the small matter of a Big Turbo Kit to fit soon too, that'll be a lovely money-sapper! Lucky the missus is away, at least I save a bit that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Bumper is fitted... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Took them a while and the side vents are not PERFECT but I've been told by everyone who's seen it that I'm just being picky... I don't think so!

I just thought they could have done a better job of smoothing the vents in because if I'd done it I would have. AND I asked them to but they didn't bother saying it would take too long.

They've done a good job of fitting it though and the paintjob is great.

When I figure out how to get a photo on here I'll post one up... it's not great, just a dodgy camera phone pic but it shows the bumper to great effect.

In the meantime, if you can't wait for me to do that, e-mail me and I'll send it to ya!

Cheers

T

Heh heh.. it did!!

Here's the rest...

Before

t11mpvoriginal6xw.jpg

After

rs4frontbumper5rh.jpg

rs4side16is.jpg

rs4front19li.jpg

rs4front6ty.jpg

What do you guys think?

Cheers

T/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Sweet as a nut mate.
If you don't mind me asking how much it cost in all to be painted and fitted?

You've got PM Markey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

that looks amazing!! very very nice! i like!
suppose you're going to have to do all the side skirts now!

and CJ you've been told that you're not allowed to post on the B5 forum .... lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my car does 0-162mph in infinate seconds!

[ QUOTE ]
CJ you've been told that you're not allowed to post on the B5 forum .... lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my car does 0-162mph in infinate seconds!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i know but when have i ever listed to jumped up control freaks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif God i may just sell my B6 and buy a B5 so i can talk on here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Very nice mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

CJ and ajmackie stick to the post subject or some little **** will start crying! hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

nicked it from AZ- Im expecting threatening copyright emails from Mr evil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

lol, I take it "Dr Evil" is copyrighted too!!!!
Well nicked though!

lol VaulterTim - it does look seriously transformed!!
Is that the same bumper as yours Yaseen?

[ QUOTE ]
Why are all the avatars squashed!? It's well annoying and distorted! (going off topic there!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Proper annoying that isn't it!? I'd always wondered too, my last one was the same... probably because the image size that has been submitted is larger than the allowed image size for the forum and it has to be squashed into a litle box. The recommended size is 100x100pixels which is tiny and probably the size of that little box thingy over....

<<------------------ there!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Tim- lets get together and terrify AJ`s car Grrrrrr!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Yeah... let's corner him, bully him into submission and then take his dinner money! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Don't toy with us boy! GRRR!!!

We're just gonna have to take your Cheese sarnies and your Thermos then... Raaaaaaaarr!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I love Wagon Wheels!

It better be a Jammie Wagon Wheel or I won't be impressed **GROWL**