Throttle Body DTC that wont clear?!?!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just been playing with car so though i'd scan to see if my Lambda's had thrown a fault again. They HAVE! So going to buy two new ones.

Here is list of codes. Any help would be appreciated.

Software Coding: 04201
Work Shop Code: WSC 00020
4 Faults Found:
16518 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: No Activity
P0134 -- 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16539 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1; Heating Circuit: Malfunction
P0155 -- 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17980 - Left Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N144): Short to Ground
P1572 -- 35-00 - -
17977 - Cruise Control Switch (E45): Implausible Signal
P1569 -- 35-00 - -
17967 - Throttle Body (J338): Fault in basic settings
P1559 -- 35-00 - -

I was expecting the P0134 & P0155 to be back on. But the latter three are all new to me. I Dont even have cruise control so why that has come up i'll never know!! But possibly related to the throttle body?

I've cleared all the codes, but the last one, P1559, STAYS ON all the time! I've done a throttle body adaption but still no joy in clearing the code!?

Cheers,

Dan

perhaps time for a new body.

more than likely a discrepancy between the two internal tracks so it cant properly calculate its position

try taking the black cover off the side and cleaning the tracks?

Engine mount thing is odd, i didnt think B5's got active mounts.

Right, Cleared the above codes (not cleaned anything yet) on the day i posted the above. Scanned the car again today and now I have only the P1559 throttle body basic settings. So next task will be to check the tracks and clean throttle body.

I have however ordered 2 x FAE Lambda sensors for the car from ECP seeing as they have a generous 25% discount going on at the moment. I know the sensors haven't thrown a code up today but they have both thrown faults in the past and, albeit, I have driven the car stupidly hard over last three days (love these roads round here....private of course!!) So i'm going to replace them anyway.

Is the throttle body difficult to remove? Can't remember from when i rebuilt the engine. Or can I remove the black plastic piece while TB in situ?

Dan

Hi, I had the same problem on my 1.8T with the basic settings code. It all started when I had a faulty coil pack. When I scanned for error codes the fault in basic settings kept coming up, and I assumed my problem was to do with a throttle body problem.

To cut a long story short I ended up fitting 2 other throttle bodies without getting the fault code to clear, checked all the wiring, voltages and everything was as it should be. When I fixed the coil pack (which didn't register a fault code because the early type of coil doesn't register a fault code!) The car ran perfectly for the next 2 years with the fault in basic settings code still present. I am guessing that this fault code was there long before I had an issue with the coil pack. So my advice would be to sort out your other issues first and you may find the throttle body problem isn't a problem at all.

My car does run fine. Well, slight hesitation at low revs (1k - 1800k rpm) then is fine. I would of thought if it was a coil pack, the hestation would be right throughout the rev range?

Leads will be next thing to get changed.

I'll do some resistance checks on the coils and see what is occurring.