K04-23, Why not?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
I know its said that the s3/tt turbo wont fit but why not? From what i can see its a 3 bolt flange to mate to the manifold and the same to downpipe. I can understand that you would probably need a custom downpipe as the studs will prob be in a different place but why have i never heard of it being done?

It is totally different as the exhaust side has a 90 degree elbow of the turbo to the downpipe due to it being transverse and has 4 studs ours are longitudinal and have 3 studs .

Looking on ebay etc there is turbos listed as off an s3/tt but have 3 stud exhaust flanges that go straight out like the a4. Maybe they are just generic pictures.

Found a pic of a transverse engine with the turbo etc still fitted and it has an exhaust housing like the a4, ie inline. Not sure what turbo it is but if the exhaust is like that surely it can be done resonably easy.

The exhaust manifold fitment lines up so the turbo is facing the wrong way. So you would need an s3 mani as well for a minimum, but that would still face the turbo towards the front of the engine.

It would be a waste of money and time you could probably do a gt28rs conversion for the price of doing a k04-23.

Looking at pictures of downpipes seem to confirm what im thinking. I know the k04-15 will only get about 230bhp max but the k04-23 more like 280bhp which is a decent amount. If it would bolt to the a4 manifold only needing a custom adapter to mount to the exhaust it could be viable.

Just have the exhaust coming out the wing with no boxes lol drag car style

The ones i was looking at dont have a 90 degree elbow on the exhaust side so would mount to the downpipe in the same way as the k03 on the a4.

The ones i was looking at dont have a 90 degree elbow on the exhaust side so would mount to the downpipe in the same way as the k03 on the a4.

Yes your correct I was thinking of the k04-001, D'OH lol
It would be possible to not even using an adapter as your going to space the down pipe and may have to go custom, I would get the flange of the Downpipe that goes on the k04-023 and get it welded to a decat or your existing cat !!

Thinking of it though when the k04-023 Is bolted to transverse the hot side faces timing side of engine ours are facing flywheel side so in theory it would bolt up back to front on our engines, so I would strongly say no it wouldnt fit.

Last edited:
The manifold flange is about 120degrees out.

Turbo would end up with the exhaust flange pointing straight at the side of the block if you kept the A4 manifold, and if you used the S3 manifold the turbo would be backwards with the cold side hard against the bulkhead and exhaust side pointing forward.

DAMN was getting excited for a sec.....thought it was going to be possible!!