JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Frankenturbo for S4

Mmm do frankenturbo offer an s4 ko4/hybrid upgrade?

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    yup!

Not sure if its using the similar sized compressor as the F4lh, or if its running something larger like the F23 though.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    It states on there website F4 turbos for 2.7T so I'd say there same as the F4HL.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    Ill look into what bhp can be had with these. Ultimately if im having to pull the engine i want 450+

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    They should do 500 easily i'd have thaught with the appropriate extra parts (exhaust intercoolers etc). Standard RS4 turbos will manage 500 when pushed to the limit.

Status
    I agree 500 it will do with the right bits and bobs you may just have trouble finding an rs4 to source the bits off or your going to have to get all aftermarket stuff. But it will do it either way !

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    They should do 500 easily i'd have thaught with the appropriate extra parts (exhaust intercoolers etc). Standard RS4 turbos will manage 500 when pushed to the limit.
    Really? Didnt realise standard ko4s would see 500. May keep my eye out for a set of them then. By the way i should all being well get those roofbars off weekend after next

Status

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradderz_1988 View Post
    I agree 500 it will do with the right bits and bobs you may just have trouble finding an rs4 to source the bits off or your going to have to get all aftermarket stuff. But it will do it either way !
    Ive see loads of ko4's for sale recently so should be a problem. Good luck with the build. I was going to tune a 1.8t untill this bargain s4 came up

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The only part you NEED to fit them is the intake pipes, as the intake on the turbo is larger.

500 is properly wringing the neck of the RS4 K04's

But various other parts are required to get 500hp irrespective of turbo. You'll need 3" downpipes, full exhaust, sports or no cats, big frontmount, injectors, fuel pump.

The heads and inlet manifold etc start to become restrictive around there too, so if you want much more those need upgraded appropriately.

Anyways this is all a bit distracting from the original post, so i'm going to split it all out into its own thread.

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the new thread aragorn. I have full downpipes with no cats although need to check sizing. These are mated to a miltek catback. I was actually looking for rs4 intercoolers, are these no good for the 500 hp mark? Also rs4 injectors, any good or aftermarket? Lets assume 500bhp for a target figure
    Im gradually collecting parts to convert to widebody and go for big power. Going to be expensive but fun.

6th Gear

Status
    You'll need bigger injectors for a reliable 500bhp. Spen on AudiSRS managed 499.1.bhp on stock K04's with RS4 intercoolers, but he tuned his himself because he knows what he's doing. You may struggle to find a professional tuner willing to push the tune that far, as obviously it reflects badly on them if things go wrong because of the map. Mihnea from MRC tuning managed to do 530bhp on plain K04's a while back just to see what could be done, but he did make a point of saying that there was no way the turbos would survive in that level of tune in the long run.

On AudiSRS it's worth a read of Confusionhunter's thread in the Projects and Builds forum as he managed 500+ on K04's. Most who have broken the magical 500 mark have hybrids or bigger turbos though. I personally wouldn't be aiming for 500bhp on K04's (although am currently hoping to get a fair bit closer to it than my previously acheived 415bhp with my newly refurbed K04's and water/meth injection).

Would be genuinely interested in Frankenturbos' offerings for the price though. If they don't just talk the talk, their figures are very impressive.
    Mo power, mo problems

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for that. Ill have a troll through the projects section. Mrc are only around 40 miles from me too so could be worth popping in for a chat. So if rs4 injectors aren't big enough, what should i be looking for?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    RS4 injectors dont fit the S4 properly anyway.

Go for some Bosch EV14's either in 550 or 750cc variant depending on your goals.

Neutral

Status
    What about some tial R770.
    TiAL Sport.com
    96 A4 1.8TQ
    K03-073, 1 BAR CHIP, PORT N POLISH HEAD, SUPERTECH VALVES, JE PISTONS, SCAT RODS, FIDANZA FW, SOUTHBEND STG3, CUSTOM AIR BOX, 034 HIFLOW MANIFOLD, 034 PHENOLIC SPACER & FIBER GLASS INSULATED INLET MANIFOLD.
    'TO COME'
    2.5 IN EXHAUST, BILSTEIN H&R.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarshall View Post
    What about some tial R770.
    TiAL Sport.com
    im guessing the price will be double that of the frankenturbo and too overkill for my power aims. The Tial S605's would be more like it but again im guessing very expensive
    Last edited by LeeT; 7th August 2011 at 13:22.