JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    Fire up the Quattro!

Status

1.8T APU Engine starting issues

My mate has just bought an Audi with the APU lump in it. 99% percent of the time it starts first time with no problem.

THen occassionally, when he goes to start it, it will just crank and crank. After about 15/16 attempts, it will start but sounds like its misfiring like mad, puff of dark blue/black smoke and then after about 20seconds runs on all four fine and dandy with no smoke. And will continue like this for a days/weeks, until it decides not to start.

He has changed the plugs, leads look new and doesnt have any other running issue once up n running.

Nothing is coming up when i scan with VCDS (Although not tried it whilst the car struggles to start the car)

Is this something common? Anyone else had a same/similar issue?

Car always starts in the end, just takes alot of time sometimes before it does!

Cheers,

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Midlands regional Moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S4_dan View Post
    My mate has just bought an Audi with the APU lump in it. 99% percent of the time it starts first time with no problem.

THen occassionally, when he goes to start it, it will just crank and crank. After about 15/16 attempts, it will start but sounds like its misfiring like mad, puff of dark blue/black smoke and then after about 20seconds runs on all four fine and dandy with no smoke. And will continue like this for a days/weeks, until it decides not to start.

He has changed the plugs, leads look new and doesnt have any other running issue once up n running.

Nothing is coming up when i scan with VCDS (Although not tried it whilst the car struggles to start the car)

Is this something common? Anyone else had a same/similar issue?

Car always starts in the end, just takes alot of time sometimes before it does!

Cheers,

Dan
    Could this be an IMMO issue? if the car doesn't recognise the key, then i think it will still fuel and turn over, but not fire. thus you'd get rough running, smoke and missfire as it would be burning excess fuel that the ECU hasnt got the adequate metered air for... Just a thought.
    Currently rolling in a SKODA!!!

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    +1 with rconn more than likely be the IMMO and its still fuelling, they can be very intermittent mine hasn't done it for around 6 months and has been fine upto now touch wood lol
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    If it was the immo, wouldn't the key light on the dash flash or something?
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    It should in theory yes mine did, also I'd be checking it with vagcom as it should throw a intermittent fault with the key or something else I'd also check the ICM as they have a tendency to give up now and again.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    immo will let the engine start then shut it down after a second or so, it will also log a fault code, and flash the immo light, so its not that!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

Status
    Does this engine have a cold start injector?
    2000 1.8t quattro Sport totally standard (ish)

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Administrators On Twitter
    Sounds like the water temp sensor might be a little out. If the car thinks it -50degs it will over fuel on start up. Also check the ambient air temp as it will have the same effect.

Best of luck

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    I'll do a resistance check on the water temp sensor when he comes round next.

Ambient air temp sensor? Is that the sensor that shows up the temp on the DIS? Or is it a different sensor?
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro