Badger5Chris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Question regarding 3" MAF conversion

Just been looking at FMICs in readiness for the big turbo conversion.

A few of them seem to have 2" or 2.25" pipework. This got me thinking.

Part of the GT28RS conversion uses a bigger 3" MAF housing but then surely reducing to a 2" pipe for the intercooler will create quite a restriction???? Don't know what diameter the throttle housing is.

Do I need to be looking at and intercooler with 3" pipework to maintain the diameter as wide as possible for the GT28 to flow as well as it can?

If anyone knows anything about this, be grateful to get a discussion going before I but the wrong darn cooler!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Iirc the throttle body is 2.75" same as the oem MAF
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    2.25 should be good for the gt28 the exducer is around 1.5 or 2" so your not creating any flow restriction up to the throttle body, you need a big core cooler for better flow with say the 2.25" pipework.
    Last edited by Bradderz_1988; 1st August 2011 at 22:40.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    well the first point is that the OEM MAF maxes out somewhere around 180-200g/sec, so 230-250hp. If you want more power you need a larger housing so the sensor can actually measure it.

The second is that the intercooler pipework is all under pressure, ie its being forced along. Whereas the MAF is not.

That said, larger pipework isnt going to hurt, and removes the potential for the small pipes causing a flow restriction.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    The second is that the intercooler pipework is all under pressure, ie its being forced along. Whereas the MAF is not.
    Ah, of course! d'oh! Now that makes sense. Thanks.

I'll try to get one with the largest pipework I can find, as you say, so as not to cause a potential restriction. 2" seems way too narrow.

Some I've seen have 2 solid pipes whereas others have 4 and more joints. The latter would seem better to me from a fitment point of view as these kits never look to fit 100% like they should.