Hello new to the forum - Just got myself a A4 1.8T Quattro Avant.

Mooks

Reaction score
Hi as above just got my hands on a B5 avant.

I have a few questions below

1) The clutch pedel vibrates a bit on idle I suspect from looking through this forum that the dual mass fly wheel needs to be replaced? anyone done this? is the solid conversion really worth it on a Quattro setup? any help with this would be much appriciated.

2) Slight squeek coming from drivers side suspension, I suspect this to be the shocks? only problem I cant find a suspension kit for the Quattro avant any ideas where to find a suitable kit?

3) I have a bose system with sub/amp in boot but the head unit is an aftermarket Sony one, how easy is it to disconnect the sub and wire in seprate amp and sub to the existing setup?

Many thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appricaited

Thanks
Mooks

Hello and welcome!

1) Not really sure on the clutch. If the DMF is on its way out, you tend to find either the whole car vibrates at idle, or the clutch judders as you engage it.

2) Its more likely to be the control arms imo. When the bushes/balljoints are on their last legs they start to creak and groan. Its probably worthwhile just replacing the lot assuming you plan on keeping the car a while. Make sure you buy quality parts though, as cheap crap wont last 5 minutes. Meyle do a kit for around £350 which replaces every arm, the track rod ends, and the ARB links, as well as all new bolts and nuts.

3) The existing sub contains a small amp which drives the rear speakers as well, so when you throw that away you lose the sound to the rear speakers. You have two options, you can either rewire the rear speakers into the head unit itself, or add an aftermarket amp to drive them from the existing pre out. When i did mine, i installed a 4 channel JBL GTO to drive the four door speakers, and a second amp to drive the sub itself.

Some pics of my setup:

DSC00567.JPG

DSC00568.JPG

The sub box is a fibreglass thing which pokes thru the cubby hole for extra volume:

DSC00557.JPG

Reactions: AndyC
Hi aragorn thanks for the reply, I have been ploughing through the forum and noticed your a bit of a guru on the B5, nice motor you got there fella.

Today I checked all the tyre pressures and found the drivers front quite low, after pumping it up, the vibration on the clutch pedel has pretty much gone? the only feedback I get is a slight pulse when I engage the pedel which is accompanied by a hydrolic groan if that makes any sense, not sure whats going on there? will probably just see how it goes I guess, changes through the gears fine.

Yeah I have seen a post referancing them kits, I suspect its worth it as I am not planning on selling anytime soon, I have noticed that it only rattles at low speed 5 -15 on quite bumpy roads, but at normal speeds 30-70 no noise at all, I might jack the car up and grease up all the arms etc and see if that does anything, stange as the car seems pretty solid on the road.

Your Install looks very nice and tidy I bet that has a nice rumble, have you upgraded the door speakers?

My plan is to add a 10" sub and amp, the amp can be bridged to run a sub and speakers. Can I use the existing cables like the live,phonos etc from the bose sub and amp or do I have to run fresh wires?

Cheers

The pedals do creak on some of these cars so that might explain the groan. A pulse on engaging the clutch might be worn out engine mountings.

I didnt upgrade the door speakers, as after giving them a decent signal from the JBL amp they've really come alive, and with some careful HPF tweaking on the amp i've trimmed out a lot of the heavy bass that would otherwise cause them to distort. The sub manages the bass fill nicely, and it all sounds pretty balanced even up to uncomfortable volumes.

You can probably keep the pre-outs and switched live that go to the existing amplifier, but the live is a weedy thing so you'd really need to beef that up, with a decent cable from the battery to power your new amp.

I'll see how I get on with the pedel, I think the clutch/fly may be something to consider replacing later, I'll check the engine mounts too Cheers.

As for the sub/amp, looks like ill be running some fresh cables from front to rear, the way your describing it I might have to put in a 4ch and a mono amp lol, and use the h/u as a media reader as it has usb/aux front in. fingers crossed it all goes to plan, what the best side to run the leads? going to be a busy weekend.

Cheers

ps Any other good suttle mods you can recommend?

Last edited:
As standard the head unit would drive the front speakers and the little amp in the back would drive the rears and sub.

If your fitting an amp you can either retain this layout, using something like a 4channel with 2 channels bridged for the sub and the other channels driving the rear speakers, or you can do what i did and fit a four channel for all four door speakers, then another amp for the sub (in my case a 2 channel running bridged as it was cheaper than a mono)

Hi,

I was thinking of running all the speakers through the 4ch amp and a seperate amp for the sub. I have all the existing amp's etc from my old Corrado so just a matter of pluging it all in. I think the amp I have is a mono if not it can be bridged so no probs. Just hoping the h/u has two pre-outs lol.

cheers

Hey all,

Today the car got a new DMF wheel and clutch kit as the horrid pedel vibration was doing my head in, the car now changes through the gears very well and so much more plesent to drive!!

I have the car booked in for a full service soon, I was wondering is there an Oil service for the rear diff on the 1.8T Quattro?, I looked through the forum couldnt find much info?

Thanks

it takes a couple litres of 75w90 Fully synth oil.

Drain plugs on the bottom and fill plug is on the drivers side, above and behind the drive flange.

Is that the same for the 2.8Q? (Aren't they the same running gear anyway?)

Wanting to do mine shortly after exhaust and TB is done (sorry for slight hijack)

No worries Dan,

Any ideas on the cost? as I will require a garage to do it, oh and how often does it need doing?

No idea on cost but here is a guide: AudiWorld Tech Articles

Doesn't look too difficult. I'll be doing mine myself in time.

A litre of Halfords 75w/90 gear oil is £9.99. Two of them and possibly an hours, maybe hour and half labour charge as an estimate. Obviously oil varies on price depending on brand etc.

Last edited: