Brads A4 2.0 TQS build thread

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, the FT will be here on the 1st of august :) I will post pics up of the kit as soon as I can so you can all have a ganders lol

Cost up to now are as follows -

F4h-l kit and delivery - approx £770
Import duties and tax - £180.06 (robbing twats lol)
And also got to get the gaskets needed from Audi which will be around £40-50.

This isn't going to be a quick project as the car is used daily but my plans are to gather everything I need and find a decent tuner to map the car and seek advice from here when I get stuck lol and hopefully be finished by the end of next year but as I'm in the process of paying of debts and a holiday it may be longer but the main aim is to source the bits ready for when I'm debt free.

Will try to keep updated with Pics and progress along the way.

Other than that I can't wait to fit it and see how she goes !

I dont think the gaskets are quite 50quids worth.

I ordered the downpipe, turbo-manifold and oil gaskets the other day from my local VW, plus a bolt for my alternator and a seal for the coolant flange and it was £20.

Good luck with the build. Will be watching this thread with interest as it's similar to what I want to do, only with a GT28RS.

I need to upgrade my brakes first though.

What other bits if any have you got already? Do you have injectors cos I noticed there are some Saab reds on ebay with a day or so to go and they are currently v cheap!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I currently have got nothing as I'm going to run the FT on the stock set up, but have seen these on eBay item - 180693427330 which I think will be ok with the 3" MAF but will have to source one as I disnt order it with the kit I order the adapter gasket for the stock MAF instead, but the seller ha a few set of injectors for sale that should do the trick I'm just debating on what cc injectors I sholud get to run with the 3" MAF.

Aragorn: I priced them up from Audi the other day with gaskets, new studs and nuts for the cat to turbo and with 7.5% discount it all came to around £42 but I need to see If the FT comes with the studs or any gaskets first before I order them.

Yeah they look the same as the ones I highlighted, but they are just second hand rather than reconditioned. One set are only at £16 tho!

I've got a 3" MAF housing if you are struggling. Got one the other week of ebay. VR6 one. Don't need it for ages yet, just got it cos it was available.

Cheers for the offer but I'm going to wait till I get the funding for the remap and source some injectors before I get the MAF if I change my mind I will let you no tho lol them recondition ones have got it set to make an offer so may get them for £75 or even cheaper depends how stuck up the seller is lol

No worries. You know where there is one if you need it anyway.

Here's a few pics of the FT :) hope the pics are ok its of my iPhone.

Compressor side:
8cdecd87.jpg

Turbine side:
c4e30d97.jpg

3" Intake pipe under going treatment but ran out of bandage lol:
df5780b5.jpg

And high flow ceramic manifold:
33cc4533.jpg

5702cac7.jpg

Interesting, thats an RS4 compressor housing, which is presumably larger than the standard A4 one and enables it to take the big wheel.

I was trying to workout what the housing was of as the groove on the housing for the WG actuator doesn't line up with the actuator that's on it so I was concerned as to what it was off. Would you say the wheel is rs4 or totally different is it the k16 wheel ??

Also looking at the manifold it looks like it will be a struggle to get on the nuts is this a flexi head ratchet spanner job ??

The wheel is a borg warner ETT wheel, probably 2083 or similar. Much more modern than the K16 or even the original K03/K04 wheels.

The manifold looks similar to the ATP clones that float around ebay, and they're an absolute pig to fit from what i've heard.

Well the build has not gone to plan as I intended on fitting the FT today, went to audi on Friday ordered all the gaskets for the mani, turbo to mani, turbo to cat, and cat to DP and oil return, manifold nuts, turbo to cat stud and nuts, the 4 copper washers for the fuel filter and also a new n/s rear diff seal as mines leaking so thought I would get it whilst I was there all worked out at around £56, so I was getting excited at this point to spoil my excitement audi rang me Saturday morning and said that the turbo to mani and one of the DP gaskets where on back order and that they will get back to me today after dinner but now I'm just hoping they get them for me as I'm getting frustrated with the wastegate noise now as it's getting louder buy the day and ******* me right off lol

Also whilst I'm on the subject of leaky diff whats the quantity of diff oil and gearbox oil also what brand of oil do you guys use and is if the 75w90's stuff ??

Turbo to downpipe gasket is due in to factory on the 7th. Turbo to mani is in stock at factory. Manchester Audi are showing a recent movement on one. Whether its the same Audi you went to or not im not sure. 0161 876 1234?

Smith knight fay Stockport audi is the one I went to but he said he was going to phone about and see if he can source them from another dealers or TPS for me I'm just so frustrated as I've been looking forward to get it all done and the job has stopped due to pence's worth of gaskets :(

They have just phoned me and they will have the turbo to manifold gasket on Friday and the other one tomorrow so I may just go ahead with it tomorrow as there just round the corner from my work where I will be doing it and just catch a lift off my mate from work till Friday.

Well got cracking with it today and I'm glad I did because look what fell off when I took the turbo off

5dc61cc0.jpg

And the turbine housing had cracks inside the housing

2e4f3c63.jpg

Here's them side by side

16994bb2.jpg

Also got the manifold bolted up no problems just a bit fidly trying to tighten them with an spanner by 1/4 turns lol

e506742e.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on the cat to turbo gasket and it's all systems go !!

I've never seen that before!
It's so much easier taking the whole front off the car.

its a common fault on these k03's and agreed its a whole different ball game with the front end of had to fit my ecs LW crank pulley aswel also noticed the timing belt tensioner damper has decided to leak fluid so going to get it all changed asap.

Well she is running as I got the gasket this morning all seams ok slight leak from the little 6mm Allen key plug on the turbo it wasn't sat flush with the housing must of been when the plug was made as you could see when undoing it it was uneven where the gasket sits so just swapped it from the knackered k03 seems like the wastegate valve was the cause of seeing only 6 psi of boost the 007p sounds great now it's running full boost and feels like a totally different car and sounds great when spooling !!

Well done! Will be interested to see your opinions on it. I took a trip down to JBS Auto Designs the other day to discuss some options. They offered me the APR Stage 3 upgrade to get around 280bhp for......wait for it.....just over 4 grand! (not including the front mount intercooler and clutch upgrade that I'd most probably need).

Be interesting to see what this kit ends up producing for a mere fraction of that cost.

4k f*** that lol, I'm reckoning I could do it for just short of 2k maybe a little bit more but my main priorty now is to get all my little boggles sorted, then get the clutch and flywheel sorted then I'm guna look at doing the suspension and stiffen the ride up abit. Then get a exhaust system then I will go for my power goal but time is money an money is time and ive got a few debts to clear and a holiday payment in process so it will be a slow and steady build but I will get there eventually lol

Progress is good.

Just had shed out for its inaugural run around the block, and its confirmed that the turbo in the avant is fubar. The response is completely different, feels eager and willing rather than limp with tonnes of lag.

I have however found an oil leak from the filter housing which may be tricky to cure.

You running stock turbo on the shed or the one you got off Lee ??

I think my actuator was also knackerd as it was very easy to move by hand compared to the FT one but it said on the packaging the actuator was set to 8psi ?? And it just didn't have that punch it has now !

Its lees old turbo. Its running with no N75 for running-in the engine, but i dont have a boost guage plumbed in to see what its making. I'd imagine its more or less stock 4psi though, as its the standard actuator, and from what little i've driven it so far it doesnt feel that quick.

Bad news I've developed a shudder at low rpm if I get speed up it goes just scanned the car no faults found carried out throttle body adaptation still no different sort of get a splutter as soon as I touch the revs it's idling fine no lumpiness sort of worse out of junctions and uphill cant do a log as of yet as my laptop is dead and is on charge as I type. Im just hoping it's nothing to serious the engine bay is really hot it couldn't be heat soak could it ????

it is apparent that the fault is now there at idle but comes and goes its starting to seem more like a misfire some searching on the net reveal it could be due to the timing belt tensioner failing which i now needs doing as the damper is leaking fluid, i was thinking of disconnecting the coils and injectors one by one. whats easiest way to check for vac leaks on these engines ? i have some logs at idle that i will post in a minute.

Yeah if that damper is leaking then i wouldnt run it too much especially if you`re saying its shuddering. Would hate to see another post in the near future saying it went bang lol.

£139.12 inc vat from Audi. If you go to Euros for instance give them the OEM number to match up which is 058109479B for AJL

problem resolved :)

no'3 coil went down swapped to number 2 and still nothing so just been local audi/vw scrappers and picked up a coil for £20 happy days ............... for now lol

He wanted £25 at first but I offered him 20 and he took it and i think they do a 3 month warranty as ive used them before and are really helpful.

Cheers anyway mark at least I no where to go if another goes down lol

Well all is good with the car I just can't get over the noise she makes when spoiling up it sounds awesome I'm going to try and get a sound clip vid, I'm seeing a peak of 14psi then dropping of to a steady 10psi it's even hit 15psi a couple of times can't remember when it hits full boost but in first when it hits it hits lol I may switch my N75 to my modded one see what that's like ?

Well yesterday I pulled out of a junction got in to 2nd or 3rd can't really remember any how took a look a the boost gauge it hit 14psi then all of a sudden wham it shot right over to 20psi but hasn't done it since I'm confused as it didnt really give any more power just a larger surge of air intake ??

Sounds just like a boost spike due to the turbo having different spool characteristics than the original one.

Might be a faulty N75 or failing MAF though?

You still driving it with that knackered cam belt tensioner?!

The n75 is brand new so it may be the MAF, yes I am I no I shouldnt be but I am absolutely skint and need the car to get to work i may just order one through work and just pay the 10% charge they charge us for parts going through the parts department.

My brothers A4 (my old one) was like that since I got it I think as there was signs of an oil leak just higher than the crank pulley and we only realised 2 or 3 months ago and I got it 2 years ago lol

Right well I've finally got the flywheel with bolts (£45) and clutch (£99 and there genuine remanufactured cheers for the advice on those Aragorn) clutch bolts and release bearing (£29) and all that's left to complete the puzzle is some machining (£80) and also for a few hours of my own time to fit it lol

So around £270 in parts

So here's some pics
e5dee9c5.jpg

af276a59.jpg

a1929a50.jpg

Will let you all no how the job goes when I get round to it hopefully before the snow comes lol

About time! lol. So is the clutch the same as Aragorn is using?