Brads A4 2.0 TQS build thread

Around 280hp with the right setup but I'm not going straight for the power I'm getting everything ready for when it gets some lol

Suspension, engine and gearbox mounts and brakes need upgrading before hand.

cool around the same output as a unit we have, but a much cheaper solution you have there, great stuff

from the pics you have in your sig, your car looks real nice.

Edit... is the Ex mani A JBS ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, And its not a jbs mani it came with the FT kit so presumably there own or an ATP or a clone or something like that.

Well I got cracking well plodded along this morning with the clutch conversion as it took me 4 hours due to a major hangover as I was at a funeral yesterday and had one to many lol but all is good very pleased with the outcome power delivery seems a lot better as the old clutch was down to the rivets lol (will post pics up soon) it just feels like a totally different car and it can spin all 4 wheels now so I'm already for the snow and some toying about lol.

Well here it is the totally f****d clutch lol

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

ba5cc377.jpg

c6305b60.jpg

431d6665.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got cracking well plodded along this morning with the clutch conversion as it took me 4 hours due to a major hangover as I was at a funeral yesterday and had one to many lol but all is good very pleased with the outcome power delivery seems a lot better as the old clutch was down to the rivets lol (will post pics up soon) it just feels like a totally different car and it can spin all 4 wheels now so I'm already for the snow and some toying about lol.

It was proper broken, you must have much more power than me, mine won't spin all 4 in the dry, good work

^^ it was a bit wet on take off ;)

Mines is only on stock map only mods are FT Kit , ECS Lightwieght Crank pulley,THS Decat, clutch conversion, 007p and K&n air and oil filters.

mine is Scroll Outlaw and larger injectors and MAF, 3 inch Turbo back, LWFW 007p and Brute rods and i still won't try and launch it to see if it will spin, i recon the engine would fall out,lol

What tyres are you running? I've launched mine pretty hard in the damp and it didnt do much more than chirp the front wheels.

I've got pair of maxxis on the front with pirelli pzero assymetrico on the rear all standard size 225/45R17

Maxxis make a lot of tyres for rallys, so I'd have thought they would have been good ax long as they weren't a high tread wear ( hard compound)

In my experience, budget tyres are almost invariably hopeless in anything other than dry weather.

Bit of rain and your slithering around like your on slicks.

Maxxis do make tyres for rallying and offroading like you say, but the requirements there are very different, generally you want wide open tread with large gaps to enable the tyre to bite into the gravel/dirt/mud surface, and a tough robust compound so they dont get ripped to pieces. Very different to a road tyre.

I agree with Aragorn as when it's wet I can take a corner at a bit of speed and the front end just wants to understeer for fun as if its on ski's. Maxxis is more for the quad/motox market hence why there crap and it spins all four lol

IMO tyres are about the most important component on the car in terms of handling.

I'd much rather have a car on boat suspension, and top quality rubber, than lowered/upgraded suspension, arbs, coilovers and whatever else but on budget ditchfinders.

Years ago, I had an old mk3 Astra 1.4 Merit that i fitted 16" alloys and good rubber too (Uniroyal Rainsport 1s iirc), on the standard 4x4 spec tractor suspension, and even though it looked ridiculous and used to corner on its door handles it stuck to the road like glue, come rain or shine. I later lowered it with konis and the ultimate limit of grip remained the same, it just became far more composed and FELT better to drive.

Agreed, after all its all thats connecting you to the road. So skimp on the rubber and you`ll end up in a ditch.

Brad you need to get yourself a better rear ARB too by the sounds of it. Cant wait to get mine on when my rebate cheque comes through! :D

Yeah I've been looking into it iirc you can fit either the s4 or rs4 as a option as I'm sure there upgraded on them so should be able to get hold of a nice used one and some new bushes.

you lot obviously aren't launching hard enough!
I can get a nice small dog bark out of all four wheels on stock 180bhp. Michi PS2's and Nokian WRG2 alike

must be my solid bushes and touring car suspension that allows that!

As standard the S4 and RS4 have the same rear bar as you currently have.

They did give an option on the RS4 of an upgraded bar, but they're fairly rare.

Neuspeed do a fairly good one with strengthening brackets.

Yeah the optional RS4 rear bar order needs to be submitted via email to exclusive parts at audi. Heavy duty 17mm its listed as so that`ll be why its so rare.

Well today has been good progress got my timing belt done and also replaced my camshaft chain tensioner which to be honest wasnt that bad off a job but here's the but the big BUT over christmas my car had developed a whining noise from cold which would clearly be there at about 2k so whilst I was cracking on with the timing belt I removed the TIP to only find that the compressor wheel has been catching the housing as there's a shiney ring from where contact has occured and there is about 2mm play in and out and about 1mm side to side I've just emailed them so lets see what happens.

I'm toying with a GT28 CHRA going into my existing setup with some modification ?? as I've searched frankenturbo failure and apparently there made in sweat shops in china which has just made me think twice let's see what they say first.

I removed the TIP to only find that the compressor wheel has been catching the housing as there's a shiney ring from where contact has occured and there is about 2mm play in and out and about 1mm side to side I've just emailed them so lets see what happens.

I'm toying with a GT28 CHRA going into my existing setup with some modification ?? as I've searched frankenturbo failure and apparently there made in sweat shops in china which has just made me think twice let's see what they say first.

That isnt good, hope they sort something quickly. Are you still using it with that turbo fitted?

Yeah cant really afford to have the car off the road or buy one they do a warranty 'no fault' service replacement for $150 posted for a new CHRA or it's turbo off, send it them and they inspect it to see where I stand on a FOC replacement, the marks on the housing aren't that deep its just give it a light scrap and gave it a like polished ring inside.

That sux. My old scroll has done well its still in good working order. Sadly its not the first FrankenTurbo i have seen go south very quickly

Last edited:
That's quite broken.

My scroll has no in and out play and it was on for 15k miles.

Doug will prob argue oil starvation, so be aware of that

He's said that the whining/whistle is an exhaust leak commonly from the exh manifold/turbo area and to check this before I go any further but In my eyes the turbo is still knackered I work on cars day in day out and know the difference between a oil starved turbo and a plain old faulty turbo oil starved turbos snap impeller shafts or totally destroy the comp/turbine wheels and my old k03 which had done 120k has/had no play so I doubt it's oil starvation as I check oil regular and do 6-8k oil changes.

Have you seen any FT's go bad previously ?? Any threads on them ??

Have you seen any FT's go bad previously ?? Any threads on them ??

Yeah have seen one go bad very quickly first hand and when trying to claim a new/replacement it was attempted to be blamed on oil starvation. hence me mentioning it.

\look for Danes build thread in 8L for a starter

Picked these up the other day ready for when I source some 312mm carriers :) (so any s3 guys read this and your upgrading giv us a shout lol)

61543f43.jpg

No not as off yet just going to message them when I get the funds together as money is tight and to get a FOC replacement I have to ship the turbo for them to inspect it and follow there warranty procedures which I can't afford as its a daily driver but doug assured me that if I send the turbo after receiving the new CHRA through the no fault replacement I will get my money back if there's a fault with the turbo. (which there obviously is) the car is running but pad lights on so I'd rather have a car that stops with a whine than a car that whines and crashes lol.

My minds just thinking I should of got a scroll k04 sp60x or ATP eliminator as there seems to be nothing about these turbos going bad to my knowledge the FT kit was a good deal at the time but its just as if ive bought a cheap shanghai turbo which my intentions were not to do and ive still ended up in that boat :(

Not trying to be negative to FT/doug the turbo is good value for money just didnt want this to happen but I guess it will be resolved, ive also read that he's actually said to another customer through reading up on the net that he has replaced 150 CHRA units but have all been dealt with that the customers are happy with service so there not taking to the net.

Not as off yet not had the funds or time as im going away on me hols end of may and getting my debts cleared up, also noticed that the manifold has cracked after just 10,000 miles, might be looking into getting an eliminator or Loba with and 034 manifold other than that the turbo is still going and is still boosting right or i may just buy a replacement chra and get the internals replaced for genuine items and balance at turbo rebuild in blackpool as ive read a little into it and these turbos/kits are made in china and cost peanuts to what he charges for the kit. Whish i would off known that earlier as it just more hassle but then i presume any make of turbo can become faulty at some point.

Just get a BEX 1.8t manifold. Its much chunkier than the standard B5 1.8t manifold so will flow better and its genuine Audi so you know the quality will be good. Where as the 034 manifold Welly used for instance cracked immediately.

Will get a price tomorrow when I pop in work if I remember lol