No power

chud

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newly registered to the forum with a few questions! I've been looking around here a while trying to diagnose my problem and tried a few things but now I need the help of more mechanically gifted people!

I have an A4 Avant Quattro 1.9TDi, AFN engine. It seems really sluggish upto 50/60mph and when you hit 3000rpm at higher speeds (40mph+) the turbo seems to cut out and it has even less power and then idles rough. If i turn it off and on again the turbo "works" again.

I've changed the vacuum hoses for silicon ones and tried unsticking the turbo vanes with oven cleaner but it still has the same sluggishness. I've had the codes read and it comes up with something like Injection Regulation Deviation? is this a timing issue? and do the problems above sound like a bad turbo or something else?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm hoping to be able to save my Audi!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hi all,

when you hit 3000rpm at higher speeds (40mph+) the turbo seems to cut out and it has even less power and then idles rough. If i turn it off and on again the turbo "works" again.

This is usually caused by sticking VNT vanes in the turbo. if you do a search, there are loads of threads surrounding this issue, its usually an easy fix (albeit a bit dirty). had the same issue on my 1.9 AFN engined avant...

but +1 with bradders comment.

Thanks for the replys chaps. I've blanked the EGR already but its still the same. I've also tried cleaning the turbo with the oven cleaner but im not sure i got enough in, (can was nearly empty) I'll be trying this again at the weekend hopefully.
Cheers

Right, I've done the oven cleaner in the turbo properly now and it is slightly better but still not right.

I've changed the pipe that runs into the ecu, and the 3" pipe inside it. Its still down on power though and occasionally idles roughly, its also a slow starter. Theres no noticeable smoke on start up or whilst driving.

I'm out of ideas now, is there anything else I can check?

Thanks!

Just another question, should there be oil in the intercooler pipes? quite alot of it?

yeah its pretty much normal to what seems like alot of oil in the pipes.

injection regulation deviation? do you have the code number? it could be timing related as you mentioned its struggles to start? might be worth checking the static timing, if thats ok then the injection advance in the diesl pump could be faulty?
is the vacuum control system working for the vvt? is there an actuator test on vagcom you can do with the engine ticking over?

Hi murran,
I dont have the code number, unfortunately i dont have vagcom. I got it read by a mechanic friend a while back. Did you mean VNT? if so the vacuum pipe from the N75 has enough suction to hold itself on my finger. I tried driving with this pipe off and there was no difference at all. If i unplug the MAF it gets worse so im guessing its not that.
I'm not mechanically minded, could you explain how to check static timing?
Thanks for the help!