A4 B5 Cruise Control Retrofit Instructions with pictures

PAULF

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I decided to retrofit my A4 B5 ".5TDi Quattro with cruise control, as the wife's already had and I felt left out.
I bought the Kufatech loom KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - Kabelsatz GRA Audi A4 B5 30096, for £18 plus delivery and VAT, coming to £27 all in. I had to wait whilst they made the loom up. I got the stalk from All Audi, for about £25.

Once all my parts arrived, I started work.

First I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY - there is work on the fusebox - then I removed the steering wheel, stalks,and dashboard for access, There is plenty of info around on how to do this, so I wont lay it out here.

Next, under the bonnet, I accessed and removed the engine ECU.

1WhiteConnctorECUinsitu.jpg

Notice I did not have to remove the Scuttle around the wipers - I removed the screws with a 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket. It was a little fiddly, but not hard. This accessed the 'White Connector' mentioned in all the help guides.
I then removed the ECU and the ECU box, for access

2ConnectorBlock.jpg

I then removed the 2 screws to release the connector block.
Next, I fed the loom and block of connectors through the footwell so I could release the connector, the picture shows the release tags

3WhiteConnector-1.jpg

and the view from the footwell

4WhiteConnectorfromdriversfootwell.jpg

I then fed the loom down through the column and footwell

7Loomthroughcolumn.jpg

leaving it unsecured at the moment (unlike the picture), so I could fit the pins
The connector is in two parts, and only on side is needed. The two parts are locked together with a clip.
Then the pins are accessed by sliding out the top part of the connector, agian secured with a clip. The pictures show the pin numbers, as the connectors are not marked.

5Pins7and8.jpg

5Pins9and10.jpg

For those who are interested, for orientation, the pin numbers/colours are as follows: Pin 6 is Brown and Green
Pin 7 is Red and Green
Pin 8 is Blue
Pin 9 is Red and Yellow
There is a blank space with no pin
Pin 10 is Black and White
Pin 11 is Black and Red

The loom has pin numbers printed along it, with the power wire being seperate., from the main ECU loom The pins just push into the connector. Make sure they are the right way around first, as I did not have to remove any, so I don't know how they lock in.
Refit the connector lock, and clip the two halves together

6ConnectorAssembled.jpg

put it back in the block and refit the block and the rest of the ECU parts.

I then removed the fusebox for access, and fed the power supply wire into it, an spliced it into the wire off Fuse 31, which the owners manual lists as the Cruise Control fuse.

9InsideFusebox.jpg

Note I used a proper environmental splice (bought from Maplins HeatShrinkable Cable Splicers : Crimp Terminals : Maplin ), not a crappy Halfords red butt splice, nor did I solder it. This will guard against future connection problems.
I then secured the loom with tyraps alomg the existing looms

8Loomunderfootwell.jpg

Then it was a case of refit dash, fit the stalks back onto the column

10Completedstalkandwires.jpg

and refit the wheel.
The next step is to encode the ECU via VCDS, Select 01 Engine
Select 11 Login
Login code is 11463 to activate

Robert is your fathers brother.

If you want to test it via VCDS,Select 01 Engine
Select 08 Measuring Blocks
Zone 4 should NOT read 255 (CC deactivated)
Zone 3 bits should all be '0' with CC off. On, Set, Resume, Brake on and Clutch on all show as bit '1'

Finally, a road test is always good, the owners manual gives the funtions available.

Reactions: BEN audi a4
i have cruise on mine, i paid £250 about 8 years ago
Thats a pretty good guide and price you paid well done!

Excellent write up! I've a slightly off topic question though.Those Maplin connectors.What tool is used to fit them? Be perfect for fitting facelift headlight connectors to non face lift loom.
Thanks.

It's ok.Found it on the full Maplin site.Was looking on the mobile one initially.

Bog standard ratchet crimps (Red,Blue,Yellow) and shrink the heat shrink with a hot air gun
(The back of a soldering iron if you are rough!)
They seal with adhesive, so prevent water ingress.

I just signed up to this forum to say thanks to PAULF. I just fitted cruise control to my A4 and without this write it wouldn't have been possible. The pictures showing where to insert the pins to the ECU plug were particularly useful.

Thanks

And you really want an auto dimming mirror too....

But surely your 1.9tdi Q will have both already as a Quatrro?

quick question does this work with an early model with a throttle cable?

nice thread all i need now is a good mech to fit it all for me when ive got the bits...

There is an actuatator, rod and bracket needed, the rod connects on the ball joint on the throttle valve control. I think it works similarly to the turbo actuator

Damn! I really [YES] miss cruise on my car, got so used to it before, some people might decry it but setting your speed to "the limit" and cruising along whilst letting all the fast guys plooter ahead and find the cops/cameras keeps your scrap of paper with no more ink on it!!

Thats the way it is these days for 90% of your journeys today I'm afraid...

Reactions: foursprungdugtechnique
Thought I'd just bump this back up as I'm interested in fitting Cruise onto my AEB engine. Any ideas on what's needed at the engine end and how available it is?

Ahh, not a problem was a slight oversight... The plug pins are different coloured to the ones I had on my car.

Maybe it's my fault, I didn't have quite enough time to do much more than run the wires from the grey loom.

I only checked the wiring on the 'plugs' to the 'sockets' which were left attached to the car under the ECU.

Are the wires in the 'sockets' different to the 'plugs' in colour?

One last thing, there's a short loom from the CC stalk, which plugs into the grey loom.... Where is that meant to hide? I messed about for ages trying to find a suitable place in the cowling.

I don't know bout the cable.
I sent what I used, I got no idea on others. Sorry.

That little length with the plug is meant to clip in to the stalk but it don't, i just taped it up to the loom out of the way and it's been fine.

That's what I did, just squeezed it into the gap below the ignition barrel wiring, seems ok.
Was it wired into the bottom of the sockets as opposed to the actual plugs, Scott? I ran the wires up to the ECU box, but the plugs have different colours to what you sent me... Aarrgghh

Anyone got the part number of the 6 pin plug that goes onto cruse control arm assembly, as I cannot see it in etka.

I've been up to the scrappy, Scott. Hacked off a white plug and socket to have a better look.
9 pins in socket, 13 in plug to ECU. Much easier to see how now.
I can follow the instructions on here. Going to break the new socket apart to get the pins out then solder them to the loom I got from you.
B5NUT, I'm getting a nice steering wheel off the car in the scrappy, same as I have but not worn smooth yet.
When I'm changing it I'll take the cowling off and get the part number for you, might be easier to solder the pins onto the loom with it out of the car.

Cheers, I've got the pins, just need the part number off the cruise control harness, it should one the one you got from Scott.

Yeah, that's the one. Could be next week before I get into it, on night shift this week, lots going on with planning for house extension, trades coming to give quotes, kids swimming lessons, and school sports on Friday... Trying to get more than 5 hours kip is a joke this week lol.

Scott, I got the correct white plug off a scrapped (and I'm having quite a few other bits off it) black A4 FL in the scrappy. I have the perfect tool for removing the pins from the sockets so I can solder the pins to the loom I got from you. The tool is.... SIM removal tool for an iPhone, push it up from underneath and it shifts the wee catch, pin comes straight out, no problem

What colour interior does the car have in the scrap yard?

It's a black cloth, got plain black bolsters and check type panels.
The drivers seat has a tiny cigarette burn.
It's the same cloth as mine but a saloon. I was thinking about the rear seat base tho as kids seats have damaged the fabric

Long shot be could you check to see if it has the ISOfix brackets. Was looking for a facelift with the gray plastics some of mine are damaged.

I'll pull the seat up and have a look, it didn't look like it at first glance. It was a bit tight for space... Was going to take the rear offside door trim off that car as mine rotted and got pulled off lol.
If I had somewhere to store the whole car I'd buy it, same colour, trims, material, alloys, carpets, centre arm rest (better condition than mine) I could go to town with that car

Cheers, not sure why but isofix does not look like a common option, and the same brackets were used on the A4 B5, A6 C5, Passat 1997 to 2005 & skoda Superb 2002 to 2008. Yet I cannot find any on ebay or local breakers and I'm not paying £120 Audi prices.

Cheers, not sure why but isofix does not look like a common option, and the same brackets were used on the A4 B5, A6 C5, Passat 1997 to 2005 & skoda Superb 2002 to 2008. Yet I cannot find any on ebay or local breakers and I'm not paying £120 Audi prices.

Do you need both sides? If not try this on eBay 131142983240
If you do need both it's the same as going to audi

If you want to test it via VCDS,Select 01 Engine
Select 08 Measuring Blocks
Zone 4 should NOT read 255 (CC deactivated)
Zone 3 bits should all be '0' with CC off. On, Set, Resume, Brake on and Clutch on all show as bit '1'
Thanks for the guide.

You forgot to add that you have to open 066 measuring block group ;)