Confused over part numbers! Help!

B5QUAT

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1999 1.8TQS saloon and I want to ugrade the brakes. I'm getting together my shopping list for the parts I need.

First off is the B5 S4 uprights. I know you can fit the lighter B6 ones but I'm led to believe you then have to change the bottom arm (which I don't want to do as I've just forked out for brand new Meyle ones). The part numbers I have for the B5 S4 uprights off EKTA are 4B3 407 253G and 4B3 407 254G (left and right). Is this correct?

However on ebay at the moment is apparently a B5 S4 upright that is listed as part number 4B3 407 257 which if you google it comes up as an A6 Quattro upright. I'm sure I also read in a build thread that someone used this part, as I made a note of it and it is the same.

I want to make sure I get the right bits so I'm tempted to get the uprights new from the dealers as I don't want to buy something off ebay, strip the car down, only to find it's wrong! Been there done that before! Will I need a chassis number for the dealer or will the part numbers alone suffice? I want to make 100% sure I get the right uprights to fit my car as I want to upgrade to B6 S4 fronts.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

ok, the two part numbers you've quoted for the S4 are actually alloy uprights, used mainly on the RS4, RS6 and V8 A6's as well as on some S4's in other countries. These use the smaller 21mm taper though, like the B6.

The 4B3407257A/258A numbers are the steel version of the S4 upright, which has the wider caliper spacing but uses the standard 24.5mm taper. Its also used on 2.7TT A6's

Ah, that makes it a bit clearer. Thanks. Might buy this one on ebay then and just hope I can get a drivers side one too fairly soon.