Few questions to ask ?

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Right before I get round to fitting the FT I would like some answers on a couple of questions.

So,

1. I'm going to drain the coolant when I remove the front end, is there any bleed screws on the cooling system or is it a case of taking the expansion tank cap off and reving it up for 10 mins.

2. Is there any other gaskets I need other than these gaskets ? - exh manifold, turbo to manifold, turbo to cat, oil return (is there one either end of pipe?) have I missed anything ? Also list of part numbers if pos please.

3. Also going to change my fuel filter what washers do I need? part numbers please.

4. When charging the turbo with oil (will be new oil with a new filter) with the ICM disconnected how long cranking ... 5 secs ?

And anything I may need to know when replacing it with it being my first Audi.

Right before I get round to fitting the FT I would like some answers on a couple of questions.

So,

1. I'm going to drain the coolant when I remove the front end, is there any bleed screws on the cooling system or is it a case of taking the expansion tank cap off and reving it up for 10 mins.
Not aware of one.

2. Is there any other gaskets I need other than these gaskets ? - exh manifold, turbo to manifold, turbo to cat, oil return (is there one either end of pipe?) have I missed anything ? Also list of part numbers if pos please.
the oil return is 058145757B on turbo end, and 058145757A on the sump end. 06A253039E turbo to mani, 4x 058253039G mani to block, 8D0253115 turbo to cat,

3. Also going to change my fuel filter what washers do I need? part numbers please.
Not aware of it needing any?

4. When charging the turbo with oil (will be new oil with a new filter) with the ICM disconnected how long cranking ... 5 secs ?
Should do ok.

Hope it helps some...

fuel filter: 2x N 0138149 one either side of the banjo (feed Side) and 2x N 0138128 on the output. (was looking at APU engine, yours is AWT?)

As for the exhaust, according to the diagram im looking at, it shows what looks like 4x seperate gaskets. BUT after searching the part no online it shows it to be a one piece gasket :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is an AJL. So it's got fuel tank setup for quattro but maybe the same washers as an APU.

Rconn: His is a quattro. Different fuel tank arrangement to FWD cars. Those numbers look correct though.

Sorry for editing your post, i meant to hit reply with quote lol.

Yes I will be doing ive been in motor trade for 5 years as a tech for Peugeot/Citroen just I'm not used to these over engineered german tanks lol as I've rarely worked on them apart from your general oil services and brakes etc. I'm going to do it at work so If out goes pear-shaped I have the resources/equipment/other techs to help me out, but I've done full engine swaps on the likes of relay/boxer vans so can't be as bad as engine swap.

So,

1. Theres a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, and a little pipe fitting you can stick a hose on.

4. I'd do longer than that. Take the spark plugs out, so the bearings arent under any load, and disconnect the crank sensor (stops the injectors squirting), and use vagcom to watch the status of the oil pressure switch.

Once the switch goes to "OK" i'd wind it over for another 10 seconds or so just to ensure the turbo line is purged of air.

I don't have vagcom aragorn but with your knowledge what would you say time wise In cranking 30 secs an also where is the crank sensor located ?

The crank sensor runs to a grey plug just underneath the coolant tank.

You REALLY need to get yourself vagcom, especially when taking on something like fitting this turbo, as it will be invaluable in diagnosing any issues. Get yourself an ebay lead for a tenner.

Yes I will be doing ive been in motor trade for 5 years as a tech for Peugeot/Citroen just I'm not used to these over engineered german tanks lol as I've rarely worked on them apart from your general oil services and brakes etc. I'm going to do it at work so If out goes pear-shaped I have the resources/equipment/other techs to help me out, but I've done full engine swaps on the likes of relay/boxer vans so can't be as bad as engine swap.

Oh right no worries, was gonna say if you need a lift with anything, I'm local enough, and 2 heads are sometimes better than one, but sounds like you got it covered.

Yeah i should be ok just if work dont let me do it they can be ***** sometimes but im guna try and do it when i have the week off at the august bank holiday so If anything goes pear shaped I have time to order anything I need and get a lift home if needs be lol But cheers for the offer anyway mate.