OBD and non OBD Cat converters 2.4 v6

Oily Fingers

Reaction score
Hello everyone, got a quick question that i hope you can help me with.

My 1998 2.4 v6 Avant needs both Cat converters replacing and one has broke up and the other one is blowing pretty bad from a previous owners attempt at "de-cat" one. :(

anyway, been looking round on the net for prices of the Cats and what keeps coming up is Not OBD and OBD cats! how do i work out which ones i have on my car??????

joel

Oh yeah and don't buy cheap of the net I done that with one of mine I brought one from a motor factors for about 165 quid and that was fine and I brought one a week later for 90 quid of the net. It was s**t it came in 3 bits i didn't fit properly it still blows a little bit now and it sounds really raspy, pay the extra an go to a motor factors mate

kool, cheers for the replys. i did think it would be somthing to do with the lambda sensors.
and thanks for the link as well, i did do a search before posting the topic but nothing came up :S

Yeah I always try the search but noting ever comes up then a few months down the line they turn up, glad to help mate, good luck

Think that actually: OBD compliant cats have 2 lambda (one upstream/precat, and one downstream/post cat) to monitor cat efficiency, whereas Non OBD only have the one to monitor the fuelling.

:rock:

As rconn says really OBD will be 2 sensors non OBD will be one, didn't really describe my last post well enough for you Sorry.