Rattle ,Rattle , Rattle

CheekyAudi

Reaction score
Hi people,
Ive a 1.8 A4 `99
Theres the most annoying rattle coming from the rear o/s wheel area , its happening when going over even the slightest bumps or uneven road and sounds like ... eh imagine jingling 4-5 washers together in your palm that sort of metallic pinging
Any help as to where to start looking? , i can almost replicate the noise by banging on the tyre with my fist.
Ta

im having the same problem with the front of my car mate, although mines sounds louder than a few washers. you can reakky hear it with the window down,. i originally though it was a rattling drive-shaft but ive been told it could be various small things to do with your brake pads/caliper or carriers. but im going to have a go at these. here is a link to the pins, i don't know the correct name and this is all i can find, hope this helps,

Audi A3 A4 Brake caliper pad wire set H1123 | eBay

if you have the 228x25mm disks, the anti rattle spring is p/n 4A0615269

the 280x22 dont have one fitted

321x30 (the mahoosive FF ones) have a spring 4B0615269A

Your brakes are most likely to be 280mm or 288mm

The noise is from the rear so doesn't have anti rattle springs on the rears and I'd say your front disc are 280mm with it being a 1.8 N/A.

Have you jacked the car up and felt for any play in the bearing and also check that the disc shield is secure and not rusted at the fixing points an come adrift. Also you could try swapping the disc and pads from side to sidejist make sure the pads go in the same way as the other side to eliminate brake squeal.

I`m going to investigate the problem sometime tomorrow , thanks for the pointers on where to look.

I`ll post back if I`m successful in locating the rattle (wow its ******* me off now haha) or still left scratching my head

Ta

There annoying Aren't they I have 3 on mine 1. is the rattle from the wastegate 2. Is the 'D' pillar trim on the n/s/r the clips won't hold of there broken and 3. This one f***s me right off, it's from the dash and can't find wear it's from. I'm sure you will sort it !

Well I've just dismantled the car and it's lying in bits just now ,

The rear o/s spring is broken so I'll replace that tomorrow and the calliper on the other side is sticking so I'll free that up and do the pads also as there maybe 70% worn

Not convinced thats what was making the metallic pinging noise but will report back once those jobs are done , and wether it's cured the annoyance

****** cars lol
Ta

Bradders: If the dash noise is around the knee bolster area, theres a flat metal clip thing that slides over a flat bit of plastic that sticks out, on the left side of the knee bolster.

If your not careful at aligning the clip when refitting the bolster, it misses the flat bit of plastic and rattles/jangles around.

Took me ages to work out what it was on mine!

aragorn: never thought as when ive had it off and when refitting ive always put it on from the drivers side first and then realised that b*****d clip lol. will have a look tomorrow cheers mate you never fail to impress me with your knowledge what would we do without you lol

Problem solved , it was the broken rear spring

Easy enough fix

Ta for the pointers