Newbie in need of some advice/help

MarcoLynsey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just bought a A4 2.8 Quattro (1997) got a few hopefully little probs(?) :unsure: Got the ABs light on and the previous owner told me he'd had it identified as N/S abs sensor, and there's a grinding noise in 1st gear(?) Anyone got any advice?
Also do any of you know if there's a workshop manual available?

Haynes do a manual, although it doesnt cover the quattro models.

Audi's Elsawin program can be found on ebay or downloaded and contains all the dealer workshop information.

You ideally need to get yourself a vagcom lead to check the ABS fault for yourself. It could be a faulty sensor, or a faulty reluctor ring on the CV (they crack), so once you've identified the corner you'll need to do some investigation before replacing parts.

I have the same model, the haynes manual only supports 4 cylinder models but you can buy a manual by Bentley Publishing for the v6, retail new is around £70 but a second hand one can be found on Ebay for alot less!

Hi, thanks for your replies, just had the car at a garage and had a diagnostic's check run on it, the results came back fine but the guy said that it didn't access the abs system, and that the prob could be with the control module(?) :( Can any of you tell me where abouts the module is? Is it under the bonnet on the right of the block with 4 pipes coming out of the top and 2 more to on one side, also has some wires.
Is this it?
251569_2126869606381_1085157770_2527461_6242342_a.jpg

Cheers

Yeh thats it.

If the ABS ECU was broken you'd have a huge (!) on the DIS along with ABS light on, and three loud beeps on startup.

If its just a sensor then you'll likely get no (!) and just the ABS light on, and no beep.

The ECU part unbolts from the side of the pump, you can either send it off to be repaired (around £100) or try and find a good used replacement.

Thanks for that, we've got the part off now, can you recommend a place to get either it recond or a replacement?

bba-reman's name seems to come up a lot.

Otherwise have a search or look on ebay for companies advertising the repair.

Hi, Can anyone tell me if on the ABS module if the numbers have to match up exactly? would a ABS module from a 2.6 v6 fit a 2.8 v6 Quattro?

These are the numbers i have on my faulty one are:- control module no 0273004284/8E0998375 pump no:0265220408/8E0614111A

:think:

:search:
Cheers
:icon_thumright:

Managed to get a tested secondhand unit from ebay, i was told that a pump with the part number 8E0614111AB would work (the original is 8E0614111A) which it seems to, but the small abs light is still on??? what now? any ideas guys? does it need to be run on a diagnostics machine to get reset?

I had my ABS ecu replaced and it had to be an exact part number swap... there are issues with later revisions. Check out bba-reman's website, they have a pretty good section on ABS units and relevant / replacement part numbers. The sensors can be a pig if it's one of them, had to drill one of the blighters out, not as much fun as cracking a rear cvj, went to a garge for that as the rear inner flange (ha, flange - always get a chuckle from me) was seized to the diff.

ABS Ring, rear hub Audi A4 - YouTube

this is an old link that show's (not very well) a broken ABS ring in the hub. It's a full CVJ replacement if that's the probelm. If it just a sensor, I'd actually recommend buying an original part as they are way better than OEM 3rd party issues. Just be very gentle with them, what ever you buy. It took my 3 years to get a fully functional, no error code ABS system.