That bigger oil filter...

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
Hiya
There was a post a few weeks back but I really can't find it. It cross reff'd the part numbers for that lager oil filter for the TQS (+others I think) What I'm really after is the Halfords equivalent part no or what filter to ask for in a general motor factors.
Or in fact, is it worth fitting over standard???
Many cheers
Si.

I use the k&n oil filter it's HUGE !!
Got it off eBay for around £12.50 the one you want is the HP-3001.
Here's one, item no' is 310232262634

Reactions: fullpower
Forget fancy K&N crap, they cant make airfilters that work so i certainly wouldnt be putting one in my oil.

I use the later B6 A4 filter, which is a bit taller and a bit fatter than the B5 one.

Theres also a huge one from a 2.5 TDI (i think) transporter van, which is a bigger again, but its a bit awkward to fit as the PAS line kinda gets in the way, and is probably overkill.

I have a photo somewhere showing all three, let me see if i can find it.

DSC00526.JPG

Stock A4 filter on the left, Genuine Audi B6 A4 filter in the middle, Transporter Van filter on the right.

If you want the transporter one you should be able to cross reference that WIX part number at most factors.

The larger filter on ETKA is 068115561F. I have one on mine.

IMG_0153.jpg

any idea on the difference between 561F and 561B in my photo?

561F is not a transporter filter, its a B6 A4 one.

ETKA seems to suggest both fit the BEX engine? but have some oddness in the notes column?

The transporter filter, on the right in my photo, is 074115561

Its a cheap way of increasing the engines oil capacity, and probably is a bit more effective at filtering out the sludgey mank that builds up over time.

I have the transporter filter fitted, and will continue to do so, it's half the price of the k and N,and more capacity

068115561B for the oem large VAG filter or HOF259 for the transporter one from Halfords.The transporter one fits fine on my AEB engine but I've a large VAG filter on at the moment as the local Halfords were out I'd stock of the transporter ones.

The middle one is the stock filter as fitted to the 1.9 Tdi VE AFN/AHU engines, by the way the transporter filter fits fine... Look for Champion C150 in Halfords stores or equivalent !

Many thanks for the replies lads, everything I wanted to know, although it's thrown up another q...

Byzan said:
I have the transporter filter fitted, and will continue to do so, it's half the price of the k and N,and more capacity
What is the oil capacity with the transporter filter pal?
Cheers

About .5-.75 litre more at a guess.Well worth doing as the 1.8t motor needs all the help it can get on the oil front.

Cool, thanks, was just wondering if I can get away with just buying 5 litres is all.

BUT VW/Audi actually put notes on ETKA when looking up the filter instructing you that the the larger filter is available as an alternative. So its not just us wanting bigger for no reason. The manufacturers are actually giving you the information to fit bigger filters. ie knowing about the oil issues the 1.8t has so increasing oil capacity and filtration could reduce chances of sludge issues.

After ScottB5's q above I decided to do a bit of reading on the subject and it seems that the answer is pretty straight forward. A bigger oil filter increases the volume of oil available to the engine and increases the filtration surface area. More oil can be filtered at a lower pressure so less oil will go through the bypass unfiltered.
I would say its a good mod for any engine, not just the 1.8t :yes:

Jason: did you manage to see what the difference was between the two part numbers above? 561B/561F

The middle filter actually fits a hell of a lot..

Type 2, LT, Golf, Jetta, Passat, Scirocco, Polo, Caddy, Audi 100, 80, A4, A6.

All the way back to 1977 and up to 2010.

The F number only fits Passat, A4, A6 1997 - 2006 ie the bigger filter that requires 0.4 litres more oil.

On the B6 BEX for instance the B number is fitted on the later chassis numbers. But the earlier chassis break filter which is an 06A115561B number instead of 068115561B it tells you to use 068115561F ie the larger one.

I just took an old one in and asked the guy for the biggest one he had that fit the same fittings!!
think I have a transporter one!

Jason, so there are actually four sizes then?

the middle one in my pic looks the same size as your "big" one?

06A115561B is the tiny standard one originally listed for the 1.8T and supplied by most motorfactors. This is the left hand one in my photo.
068115561B is larger and fitted to some 1.8T's, including AJL and AEB engines
068115561F is the one you've mentioned listed against later 1.8T's
074115561 is the transporter one

Any chance of getting a photo with the four of these side by side?

Transporter and the F filter i dont keep in stock but i`ll order them in for the purpose of the pictures.

I have a 068115561B in stock and im pretty sure looking at the pic i posted further up of the standard filter and the optional F, the F and the B look to be about the same size.

Interesting text on the order screen for the F filter..

untitled-2.jpg

Yeh the 06A filter is the tiny one though, which presumably explains that message. IE they dont want folk fitting the tiny old-spec filter to turbo engines.

Its the difference between the two 068 filters i'm trying to work out!

Will see when the F turns up tomorrow :)

But looking at my pics and the B i have on the shelf im pretty sure they look near enough identical.

Fram and other after market filter people seem to reference both codes against the same filter. Still, there must be a difference between the two for Audi to specify a different part number!

Wonder if its a finer element or different bypass valve pressure?

As you can see the Transporter dwarfs them all lol. It may not show it but the B filter is the tiniest bit taller than the F and then the pathetic standard one on the end.

No obvious differences between the F and B filters then?

edit:

looking at them, the "F" filter is a Mahle OC470, and the "B" is a Mahle OC51

The mahle data sheet suggests the only difference is the OC51 is 2mm taller.

Last edited:
Not really to be honest. The B has an open spring inside where as the F has an enclosed one but whether that makes a difference i have no idea.

Nice pics, I am glad i have the Transporter one en route,lol

£8.88 from ECP, i checked against the wix cat and it's the same thread and the same pressure release valve too( just for information)

1 x 501440080 @ 8.88 GBP Bosch Oil Filter

If you spend £20 and pop over to Audi SRS, they have ECP as a sponsor and have a discount code of AUDSRS25 for - 25% discount
We had the chance of sponsorship but admin dropped the ball sadly

Transporter filter goes on a treat, Thanks for the help lads. :sm4:

I too have bought the above ECP Bosch SUPERSIZED filter for my 2.8 V6. Will this fit ok? Probably should of checked BEFORE the purchase today but seeing as my mate was there and the filter was only £4.20 all in, I just bought it!

If all ok, I will be fitting it 1st thing in the morning when i arrive at work.

Cheers,

Dan

V6 thread etc is the same, my only concern would be that the filter points towards the ground on the V6, so you may risk clouting it with the extra length?

No, the filter is horizontal on my V6.

Old filter....

11082011006.jpg

I did take a pic with old and new filter together and new filter fitted but my phone hasnt saved them for some reason :-(

Dan