Oil catch can 1.8TQS ??

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Basically thinking of getting one and want some insight.
Any one got one fitted (pics would be great) ?
Any one got a write up/pics on fitting one?

Thanks in advance.

Basically, gasses blow by the piston rings as part of the engines normal operation, and the breather system routes these back into the inlet manifold to be burnt off. As the gas travels thru the crankcase it can pickup oil vapour and carry this into the inlet as well. The oil reduces the intake charges octane level slightly, so can reduce power, as well as clarting up the inlet etc.

The engine has a seperator built in, whose job is to try and "catch" that oil vapour and let it return to the sump. Its not that great though, so people add an external one in the form of a catch can. This can then be vented back to the inlet, or vented to atmosphere depending on your preferences.

I find Atmo venting can make the car stink of oil vapour when stopped at lights or in traffic.

Hmm interesting good write up all though it's not on a b5 so pipe work will be different so I'm still none the wiser lol may have to go through this a few times to get a good understanding of it !

You say the pancake valve was venting both ways ???, I had mine off the other day and you can blow through it both ways with no resistance is this right or wrong ??

Hmm interesting good write up all though it's not on a b5 so pipe work will be different so I'm still none the wiser lol may have to go through this a few times to get a good understanding of it !

You say the pancake valve was venting both ways ???, I had mine off the other day and you can blow through it both ways with no resistance is this right or wrong ??

Yeah it shouldn't do that mate.

I know the layout of the pipes will be different but the principle is the same. Since I fitted my catch can and started venting to atmosphere my TIP, boost hoses, and throttle body have been clean as a whistle.

Theres a fairly recent thread on Audizine about simplifying the PCV system and various vac hoses too. Which is obviously in the B5 section so would make a bit more sense then trying to copy from a transverse set up.

Theres a fairly recent thread on Audizine about simplifying the PCV system and various vac hoses too. Which is obviously in the B5 section so would make a bit more sense then trying to copy from a transverse set up.

Any chance of a link mate ??

Bit of a thread revival since noticing the IE VTA catch can im thinking of doing one for my car somewhat like this :-

Im thinking of maybe even doing it back to the exhaust with a scavenger plug thingy, whats your thoughts ??

Also where in the UK does the crankcase adapter with a 10AN fitting ??