Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status

Oil catch can 1.8TQS ??

Basically thinking of getting one and want some insight.
    Any one got one fitted (pics would be great) ?
    Any one got a write up/pics on fitting one?

Thanks in advance.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    No idea what the hell it does? but looks like a good write up!

VWVortex.com - ***Oil Catch Can DIY******

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Basically, gasses blow by the piston rings as part of the engines normal operation, and the breather system routes these back into the inlet manifold to be burnt off. As the gas travels thru the crankcase it can pickup oil vapour and carry this into the inlet as well. The oil reduces the intake charges octane level slightly, so can reduce power, as well as clarting up the inlet etc.

The engine has a seperator built in, whose job is to try and "catch" that oil vapour and let it return to the sump. Its not that great though, so people add an external one in the form of a catch can. This can then be vented back to the inlet, or vented to atmosphere depending on your preferences.

I find Atmo venting can make the car stink of oil vapour when stopped at lights or in traffic.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Have a gander throught this. So much info in this thread that your head will hurt

Guide - How to fit a catch can and simplify the PCV system
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Would he same work for a TDi engine?

Status
    Hmm interesting good write up all though it's not on a b5 so pipe work will be different so I'm still none the wiser lol may have to go through this a few times to get a good understanding of it !

You say the pancake valve was venting both ways ???, I had mine off the other day and you can blow through it both ways with no resistance is this right or wrong ??

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradderz_1988 View Post
    Hmm interesting good write up all though it's not on a b5 so pipe work will be different so I'm still none the wiser lol may have to go through this a few times to get a good understanding of it !

You say the pancake valve was venting both ways ???, I had mine off the other day and you can blow through it both ways with no resistance is this right or wrong ??
    Yeah it shouldn't do that mate.

I know the layout of the pipes will be different but the principle is the same. Since I fitted my catch can and started venting to atmosphere my TIP, boost hoses, and throttle body have been clean as a whistle.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Theres a fairly recent thread on Audizine about simplifying the PCV system and various vac hoses too. Which is obviously in the B5 section so would make a bit more sense then trying to copy from a transverse set up.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Theres a fairly recent thread on Audizine about simplifying the PCV system and various vac hoses too. Which is obviously in the B5 section so would make a bit more sense then trying to copy from a transverse set up.
    Any chance of a link mate ??

Neutral

Status
    96 A4 1.8TQ
    K03-073, 1 BAR CHIP, PORT N POLISH HEAD, SUPERTECH VALVES, JE PISTONS, SCAT RODS, FIDANZA FW, SOUTHBEND STG3, CUSTOM AIR BOX, 034 HIFLOW MANIFOLD, 034 PHENOLIC SPACER & FIBER GLASS INSULATED INLET MANIFOLD.
    'TO COME'
    2.5 IN EXHAUST, BILSTEIN H&R.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradderz_1988 View Post
    Any chance of a link mate ??

DIY for PCV system removal? on a quick search. Link to the B6 guide within that link too at the top.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.