rattling driveshaft??

ldoshiv2

Reaction score
Hi all, was wondering if anybody can help, bought a w plate a4 1.9 tdi 2 weeks ago, from the minute i got it there had seemed to be a noise coming from the off side front wheel, a loose/rattling sound. replaced the anti roll bar links thinking it would cure. no result. Then discovered its coming from my drive-shaft, there seems to be some play and this is where the noise is definatley coming from. Also today there started to be a very odd noise coming from the same and only side when turning the steering wheel. i can slightly feel it through my steering wheel. its like a quiet squealing sound. A friend has suggested it may be the CV joint there doesn't seem to be knocking. Im going to go and test full lock tonight though. Could this possibly be a CV Joint or does it sound like a replacement drive-shaft and something to do with the power steering. > would be much appreciated if anyone can help, Thanks.

thanks mate. i'll get it up and check that, never even thought, i'll let you know! cheers. any ideas on the whining/squealing power steering ? there is no leaks and levels are fine, the correct mineral oil is used in the system. ive previously had to replace a rack in one of my A4s which was eyewateringly expensive but its not the same symptoms as that or the same noise. im F***ing loosing patience already.

P.S the noise seems to be only coming from the wheel area on the offside only. thus the reason i don't think its the power steering. anything else it could be ?

my audi does this, but when i go over bumps i touch the brakes and the rattle stops, ive been told it could be the brake pads

it does stop when i apply the brakes! although i can feel play in the driveshaft ? maybe there is meant to be play?? but i know there is definatley no noise when i even lightly touch the brakes. the noise is only coming from the drivers side though. thanks guys! where do i get the anti rattle clip?

my after market pads rattle like hell and theres not much you can do to stop them, ive tried bending the clips out extra to make tighter but they still do it especially when they get hot.

and it sounds like theres something loose and metalic rattle when sometimes driving along.......also make a small clunking noise when first touching the pedal to brake

glad im not the only one then, my pug 406 used to do it as well, i used mintex pads

i know mine isnt the carriers as they were brand new and only fitted less than 12 months as ive got tt carriers to allow me to run bigger front discs

and they only started doing it after i fitted new pads after getting rid of the crappy greenstuff ones i had fitted