Chipping an AJL. Opinions please.

B5QUAT

Reaction score
Hi,

My longterm plan for my 1.8TQS is to go for front mount, injectors and a GT28RS. However,in the meantime, while I save up, because I'm impatient and let's face it 180bhp isn't a lot, I've been looking at getting it chipped.

It's £249 for apparently 211ps. Now I believe that the turbo is hardly good enough for that but what interests me more is the torque hike from 235Nm to 300Nm (or around 50lbsft), because lets face it, bhp sells cars, torque wins races.

What I'm after is feedback from anyone who's driven both a chipped AJL and an unchipped to find out if the conversion is worth the money or should I just save the £250 and buy some new injectors?

Your thoughts please.

Well you would need to have a remap after the injectors along with the 3" MAF are fitted so I would save up get everything you need slap it all on then get it remapped ! As the timing would be well advanced without a map running bigger MAF and injectors.

Yeah I'd wait to get all the bits first, then whack it all on at once and get it remapped. But it's gonna take a while to get the money together for everything and I want more ooomph NOW! lol

It's that waiting game that makes it all worth the while in the end. Out of curiosity which map/tuner are you going to go with I'm thinking MRC but they seem to be a fair distance away from me but don't no any others close by with 4wd rollers ?

I dont think its worth it if you plan to go big, its just £250 away from the going-big pot.

You wont see 211hp from the k03-005 on the TQS, well not without a monkey dyno, so all your really doing is giving the car a boost increase in the midrange, which probably wont make it any faster when dragging it, but will probably make it more tractable on the motorway and the like.

Bradderz,

I haven't got that far yet to be honest. I'm just choosing the parts at the moment as I'm sorting the chassis first, which I've pretty much done now apart from brakes. Think I'm going for the autobahn88 front mount, GT28RS turbo kit with manifold off ebay (from gt3 turbo), 440 or similar injectors from kinetic or Saab reds or something, 3" MAF housing, Samco turbo inlet etc. Been reading some of the threads (Byzan A4's and Lee Goodall's) and looks like not a lot of tuners know what to do re the mapping. I hear good things about Jabbasport so may approach them but think they only have 2wd rollers. I'm thinking of going to JBS as well as they aren't that far away, but again they only have 2wd rollers!

Just noticed you are from Greater Manchester too! I'm from Oldham area. Possibly not too far from you? Let us know if you fancy going anywhere as I could come with you (if that's ok) for a nosey.

I dont think its worth it if you plan to go big, its just £250 away from the going-big pot.

You wont see 211hp from the k03-005 on the TQS, well not without a monkey dyno, so all your really doing is giving the car a boost increase in the midrange, which probably wont make it any faster when dragging it, but will probably make it more tractable on the motorway and the like.

Yeah, i think I need to rein in my impatience and just dive in with starting purchasing the GT28 stuff.

I'm from Oldham to mate you don't drive a kingfisher blue TQS avant do you only asking as it's the only one ive seen around ??

I'm from Oldham to mate you don't drive a kingfisher blue TQS avant do you only asking as it's the only one ive seen around ??

No mate, but I know the car you mean. I was behind it the other day at Elk Mill. Looked nice and clean. I've got a Ming Blue saloon.

IMG_2552.jpg

It's now lowered (thank God) but not took pics since doing so. Full Milltek's being fitted tomorrow!

Keep your eye out for me on your travels.:thumbsup:

I saw it going towards elk mill on Tuesday lol I will Look out for it as I always have a ganders at any b5 I pass lol

Wouldnt bother with Jabba personally. Their maps arent the best at all. Obviously you have Awesome GTI in manchester which have 4wd rollers but dont know if they can do the chipping and if they can use REVO on said chips.

Awesome gti replied to me with this

Dear bradderz_1988,

Hi there,

Unfortunately we can not carry out any mapping on your car. It's just not something we can do.

There's only one person I know who can do these, and that is Wayne at Chip Wizard.
Feel free to give him a call on 01706 651 000.

Kind regards, Al.
Awesome Ltd.

Yeah I got a similar tale from Awesome.

Why can none of these self named "VAG tuners" tune our cars??????? Think I might go back to Subarus!! Getting 300bhp from a pre97 classic UK Impreza (208bhp standard) is an absolute piece of DIY **** compared to the 1.8TQS! Standard OEM turbo, MAF, injectors etc are all up to the job.

Think Chip Wizard only do off the shelf chips and not bespoke custom remaps don't they?

Looks like it's probably gonna have to be a trek to MRC or someone similar!

I'm interested as in who did in2deep's as they seam to know what they where doing as he's running the GT30 iirc. And is in Blackburn so would be closer than MRC.

its dead tech these days really so not many places still have the equipment and so on to fit the chips and then map the chips. It sucks as theres so many of us that want it done.

its dead tech these days really so not many places still have the equipment and so on to fit the chips and then map the chips. It sucks as theres so many of us that want it done.

Yeah it does suck. You'd think tuners would identify the demand and react to it. Surely that's what business is all about? It pees me off that the mags seem full of 400bhp Mark 4 Golfs with the same damn engine (albeit the wrong way round!) and we can't get anywhere! It's bo110x!

I'm interested as in who did in2deep's as they seam to know what they where doing as he's running the GT30 iirc. And is in Blackburn so would be closer than MRC.

Not heard about that one. Would be interesting to find out.

Yeah it does suck. You'd think tuners would identify the demand and react to it. Surely that's what business is all about? It pees me off that the mags seem full of 400bhp Mark 4 Golfs with the same damn engine (albeit the wrong way round!) and we can't get anywhere! It's bo110x!

Engines not the issue its just the ECU and so on. Flashable ECU`s took over and made everything easier and actual chipping died off and i guess people just binned the equipment. Newer tuners that came after that mark obviously wouldnt buy dated tech that no body wanted anymore. Plus there were less people tuning our cars than golfs and so on. What is it with me picking the difficult cars lol. Cinquecento first car, ****** all out there and when you found something it was rare and expensive. Yaris wasnt as bad but still a pain at times. Now the A4 is proving to be a pain on the mapping front. Should have stuck with the civic :p

There must be some way of using a Golf ECU or something like that then so we can achieve the same results as them!

Think Aragorn has looked into it before and knows the finer details. Think maybe Mark was going to or actually did it on his hybrid build but cant be 100% without searching.

Was looking at an AGU ECU i think.

In2Deep is using standalone.

RTech can map these ECU's, and seem to know what they're doing, they claimed they'd have access to 4WD rollers by the summer, so you should be good to go there assuming that actually happened.
MRC mapped marks (using an early A3 AGU ECU) but Mark has some as yet unresolved issues with the mapping.

The other, if somewhat drastic, option is to convert the car to electronic throttle, which gives you an ME7 ECU thats much better supported and is easier to tune. I've looked into this for my own car, and it looks like a fairly streightforward if pretty involved job. Its also easier on cars with digital clock, due to the wiring harness changes that occurred with the introduction of those clocks.

If you buy the right parts you'd end up with Wideband lambda, MAP sensor, electronic throttle and even EGT sensing if you wanted it.

Just waiting on Lee to head up to Rtech and see what happens from there. They`re the prefered place i`d want to go to so we`ll see what they can do for him.

R Tech sounds like a place to pay a visit to then.

John Clarkson in Chorley looks worth visiting too (where In2Deep got his mapped and dynoed). Standalone looks like a bit of a mare to me tho. All those wires. EEK! Something for people with a lot more spare time and expertise than me.