coilover suspension on audi a4

pirate

Reaction score
right im buying a set of coilovers for my audi as i have 2 broken coil springs and std setup on front with sum uprated schocks and springs on the back sits wonky and ride is terrible

if i buy a kit for say 180 off ebay then what else would u recommend replacing at the same time

i intend to run it on coilovers with amg 18s love that look

also if someone has a cheap set for sale i would like to purchase

thanks dan

if you buy a £180 set off ebay I would sugest replacing your teeth first closely followed by your sacrum (thats you tail bone)!
they will shake the **** out of your car and fail inside 5000 miles.

dont do it, get a decent set of shocks with shorter springs.

no such thing as cheap coilovers. just **** ones

no help with the coilovers but im curious as to which AMG wheels you are thinking of?

only thing puts me off slammin the a4 is the fact the steering set up is so the track rod ends are at the top of the wheel making it ****** hard to track once lowered as its a job enough now....many garages also then wont track it and ull end up with ur tyres sholdering off costing a small fortune wen u need tyres every 8k....i love the look dont get me wrong loooks amazing. also agree cheap coilovers are a no go....buy a decent £600 set of get decent shocks and springs for less :)

IMG_1028.jpg

this but slammed alot more sorry only could find passat pic

ebay saying 150 - 180 for shocks and springs but what drop to get ? want it to sit low on these wheels

I fitted AP coilovers on my A4 and to be honest if I was at the same point again I wouldn't do it knowing what I do now. I would save a bit and get Bilstein B6 dampers and decent Eibach springs or similar

I just fitted the Weitec Ultra GT kit to mine (45mm drop front, 30 rear, fixed drop, no adjustment) for around £550. I must say it sits really well but the ride is only slightly harsher than standard and certainly not unbearable. I also replaced all the front arms at the same time as the car is 12 years old with 112k on it so they were jossed. I used the proper Meyle kit and must say I glad I saved up the extra over the cheap ebay crap from China. Saw one of those kits the other week and the difference in quality is epic. Must agree with StompOn though, getting the alignment of the car properly set up was a nightmare. With the new setup, the car was all over the place and vibrated like a Zanussi on spin cycle above 80mph and the front went alarmingly light (brown pants all round). Took it to a proper place with the dog's danglies of a setup and they showed all the caster, camber and toe before and after. Car was a nightmare to set up. Took 2 hours, and as StompOn said there's not a great deal of adjustment that can be made beyond a certain point. Still cost me £120 though (!) but well worth it. Car handles like hell now and looks sweet! If the car's done any mileage, change the arms too, that's my humble opinion.

I have FK coilovers on mine. £225 kit same as whats on Ebay. Not hard in the slightest, not uncomfortable and have been on nearly a year and not come across a single problem yet. Just fitted cheap JOM coilies (£170 same as ebay ones) to the missus`s Leon Cupra and they`re actually not as crashy as the standard set up and quite comfortable. Both have improved the cars greatly.

in my opinion mate you certainly get what you pay for i had a set of apex coilovers on mine which i got for around 250 and hated them the ride was so stiff and suspension knocked on every single road ive now fitted eibachs and its like driving a new car

With the new setup, the car was all over the place and vibrated like a Zanussi on spin cycle above 80mph and the front went alarmingly light (brown pants all round). Took it to a proper place with the dog's danglies of a setup and they showed all the caster, camber and toe before and after. Car was a nightmare to set up. Took 2 hours, and as StompOn said there's not a great deal of adjustment that can be made beyond a certain point. Still cost me £120 though (!) but well worth it. Car handles like hell now and looks sweet! If the car's done any mileage, change the arms too, that's my humble opinion.

This is the exact symptoms I am suffering with a vibration over 80 and steering that goes light above this speed.

Theres basically no adjustment on the front end bar the usual toe settings and a crude tweak to balance out the camber from side to side.

The position of the tie rods above or below the bearing carrier makes no difference to tracking the car. Irrespective of wether they're above or below, if you lower the car 80mm over stock its still going end up with the tie rods pointing skywards and dodgy bump steer as a result.

The A4's suspension system is pretty good at maintaining geometry over its travel, thats the whole point of having a zillion balljoints under there with individual control arms. As a result, and unlike most cars with MacStruts, a sensible lowered ride height should still drive perfectly fine, and the camber shouldnt be excessive at all, and so long as the toe is set correctly you wont take the shoulders off your tyres either.

it cant still b tracked but have u tryed to get your arm thru the gap of the wheel and the arch to adjust it when lowered?

You dont reach thru a gap in the arch, you stand under the car and reach up....

And the gap your reaching thru doesnt change when you lower the car...

ok if i want the ride same as the passat estate what drop should i go for on shocks and springs

I fitted a set of fk street coilovers in feb, think they were about 200. I've done maybe 14k on them since then, ride is fine don't believe they hype.
I did reply all the control arms, tre's, arb drop links and top mounts at the same time.
All tracking was done at the time and seems to be fine, tyres are wearing evenly, car handles as well as a silly big diesel estate is likely to.
Also flew through it's mot with no advisories 2 weeks ago so even the middle of the road control arm kit seems to be lasting okay.
No point spending silly money on coils if your not going for performance or hitting the track. Safety also not an issue as all the parts were compared to oem and on the surface the fit and finish looked very good. Certainly better than snapped coils and 15 year old components.....

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

sound so what was the total price for the drop and front susp rebuild?

coils £210
full suspension arm kit £225
top mounts £40
rear axle bushes £30
fitting & tracking £280

and you can pick your ride height... i settled on:
DSC00059-1.jpg

I have FK coilovers on mine. £225 kit same as whats on Ebay. Not hard in the slightest, not uncomfortable and have been on nearly a year and not come across a single problem yet. Just fitted cheap JOM coilies (£170 same as ebay ones) to the missus`s Leon Cupra and they`re actually not as crashy as the standard set up and quite comfortable. Both have improved the cars greatly.

As above, went in Jay's car and thought it seemed decent enough so copied him with the FK coilies and had no problems at all... all seems spot on and it drives infinitely more comfortably than my Skybus does on its horrible D2 coilovers... Frequently drive a hour each way to work and never had any problems with the audi other than it grounding out when its not even as low as I wanted yet heh

Chop your Spring couple of coils job done :notme: i would get the most expensive coilovers possible

that passat looks more like a 60-70mm drop to me