Show me your induction kits please....

Ardz83

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just a quick one to see how people's induction kits look in their engine bays. I'm thinking of getting one but the last one i had on there wouldnt run right.

The car was under powered because the maf was unplugged,i plugged it back in and it wouldnt run.

Please could i see how you have yours and what makes you are using?

Many thanks in advance

Dan

view of filter
2036-ash-heat-shield-2.jpg

View of heat shield
2035-ash-heat-shield-1.jpg

View of engine bay
2605-engine-bay-recent.jpg

Filter is a k&n, heatshield is autosiliconehoses.com (ASH)

Last edited:
Thanks for that bradderz. Does it work ok with the maf plugged in then? I got a ram air filter but wont run with the maf plugged in and runs crap with it unplugged. Any ideas??

I'd say your maf is dodgy but the ram air filters are ment to be better in most tests than most of the other manufactures out there ie filtration,and air flow. What engine you got ??

It runs with the MAF plugged in yes.

Its a 1.8 turbo fwd 150 bhp. It runs fine with the standard airbox on and the maf plugged in. Im abit confused.

I've got a k and n induction on mine mate it runs perfectly fine. I've got the aeb engine HTH

How are you setting it up as the ignition control module is on top of the airbox have you taken the MAF housing out of the airbox lid ??
Have you got a pic of the filter installed ??

Only have the iPhone at the mo I can email a pic to you if you want to post it?

On my iPhone so can't post either and the questions were at Ardz83 but hey ho lol upload it when you can get a sticky induction pic thread goin lol

this is mine still have MAF sensor on and runs fine ive put a passat air box heat shield on it to try and stop some heat geting to the filter
e7509b5f.jpg
49c13f73.jpg
dc190bee.jpg

20va4 - have you got the trumpet bit still on the maf housing? as mines tight with that removed and the tip catches the headlight slightly also do you not beleive in the cold air flowed bay theory whilst driving ?

not sure wot u mean dont think mine has a trumpet thing lol and cold air flowed bay theory lol

it is bolted to the maf housing as like a duct inside the airbox and this is what secures the maf housing to the air box lid !

Ah my filter was the opposite way to the green one in the above pic. Tip of the filter was facing the front of the car. I guess that is wrong looking at the 2 cars here?

The standard air box is just as it came out the factory. Yes there is plugs going to the top of the airbox and a rubber part that fits a hole in the airbox on the top. If that makes sense.

Ps I'm on iPhone too lol

Last edited:
oh i see lol no when i got the car it had another filter on it with no air flow pips goin to it. dint come with the standerd air box. do i need the trumpit thing its the AEB engine 1996

20va4 - No as the air filter will clamp straight to the maf housing and give you a little more room .

Ardz83 - the rubber grommet is on the maf connector harness and the two connectors on the top are for the icm all these have to be connected, in the first pic I posted you can see the icm on the air filter bracket and you should keep the metal part on as it cools the icm iirc !

So did I have my filter the wrong way round? Everything was connected and it ran like a bag of sh*t.

Ardz83 - it's hard to understand what you mean when you say your filter was the other way round if you can upload a pic of your set up I may be able to answer your questions basically you have the intake pipe then MAF ( make sure it's installed the right way the to bolt holes on the housing towards the rear) and then the filter make sure your ICM is connected up and also the tank vent valve and pipesbe sure to keep the icm near the cold air intake or as close to the o/s wing as poss. That's all I can suggest with no pic to go off !

how come the ICM has to be by the cold air feed.

it doesnt have to be but it gets hot and has no heatsink

Iirc I've heard that it will fry the IC if it gets to hot that's why it has the metal grill looking plate to cool it hence why it's mounted to the airbox and there's a hole in the a/box to cool it !!

Just a quick question. Is the standard airbox and filter setup not good for around 300bhp (I was led to believe it was)? Why then fit an induction kit if running considerably less than that unless it's just for looks and noise? I can understand it on something running 300bhp+ but otherwise is it actually going to do any good?

I would upload a pic but it's back to standard now. Might have a go at refitting it after the car comes out the garage with a shiny new steering rack.

i had mine like above but i still dont think you can beat the look or performance of the standard box. as people say you can run upto 300bhp with same air box so why change it all these kits do is make your car thirsty and chavy

I went for the cone filter as you can here the turbo spooling and sucking all that air in and also makes the 007p sound wicked ! So mine was for the sound but I think it looks better than a dusty old airbox yes they can run up to 300bhp but each to there own I suppose, I cant wait to get the Frankenturbo fitted and here that f****r spool especially when I get the 3" MAF, injectors and remap sorted :) I no it's no gt30 but hey it's hybrid !!

cool beans bradderrz will be very interested about the franken turbo build, be a good read

It sure will no doubt I will come across problems and have to get some advice of you A4 guru's as im still learning lol but I will do my best to keep you all updated when it comes I will start the build thread with pic of the kit. It will be slow progress as I'm in the process of paying another holiday off but after that the mrs and i agreed I can start modding again :)

What figures do you expect bradderz? How much is the turbo? Is it a bolt on or you got to change the manifold too?

The S4 and RS4 use exactly the same airfilter and lower box assembly as the 1.8T. The only thing audi did to the box for 380hp on the RS4 was add an additional air intake which opens above 30mph (presumably so it doesnt suck in hot air from the engine bay at low speeds)

Many big power S4 and RS4 cars are running the standard airbox, with or without a performance panel filter, so personally i dont see the point wasting all that money on an induction kit on a 180hp 1.8T. If you want to do something then stick a panel filter into the OEM airbox which will give you the same possible improvement as the induction kit, but costs half as much and stops the engine bay looking a mess.

What figures do you expect bradderz? How much is the turbo? Is it a bolt on or you got to change the manifold too?

I'm hoping around 260-280hp when ive finished that's with MAF, injectors, FMIC and a remap but I may be wrong anything above 240-250 il be happy but I think i saw some where that the Frankenturbo with the right map/setup has pushed 300hp may be seeing things and dreaming tho lol

It's a bolt on kit (basically it's a hybrid k04)and comes with high flow ceramic manifold and intake to take 3" MAF. Will let you no of costs when I start the build thread !

Last edited:
I suspect 300 is just the usual BS dyno figures from the USA. I'd say your 260-280 assumption is more along the right lines on a nice reliable UK dyno, with the right supporting mods (ie MAF, FMIC, Injectors, 3" turbo back system and a sport cat)

Yep the 3" exhaust system will be the first on the list as Im running the ths decat already then i will get the FMIC and then I will source the MAF and injectors ready to get it mapped. What VAG/other vehicles can I get the 3" MAF housing from aragorn ??

as far as i know, you need one from a VR6 Mk3 Golf.

The TT/S3 and other similar maf's dont work with the AJL sensor.