Max power on standard fuel pump

jamie226bhp

Reaction score
What power does the standard pump max out at on a 1.8 tqs as I'm running out of fuel at 216 bhp and above 4500 rpm

The TQS pump is the same as the S4 one, and its good for 400hp+

The stock injectors however are hopeless, so those will likely need changed, and you'll also run out of MAF headroom as well.

TBH i'd suggest 3" MAF and bigger injectors, along with dropping the fuel pressure to 3 bar to give the pump an easier life.

Standard injectors but waiting for the tuner to let me know the duty cycles could the pump be on it's way out though or even a dodgy fuel pressure regulator

i'm not sure i'd even waste my time on the stock injectors, they're about 220cc/min, completely useless!

My old fuel pump (many of them do this) made a high pitch whine when it was bolloxed/on its way out, almost like the sound in a car when your real low on fuel! - They are easy to change and not too expensive. At least if you change it you can cross that off the list. Process of elimination........! Thats why *(as far as I am concerned!)* cars are so ****** expensive to fix/modify!

TBH before changing anything he needs to do the proper diagnosis. A fuel pump is not an insignificant amount of cash to just swap it out "just in case", and replacing parts that arent broken will ofcourse make a car expensive to modify ;)

You need to check the pressure at the fuel rail and ensure that it climbs with boost and doesnt tail off at peak demand.

If the pressure stays up, the pump is fine.

So I need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge while on some rollers or try to make one on a long hose that can be seen fron in the car while on the road, didn't realise the standard injectors are only 220cc

Yup splice it into the feed line and see what the pressure is doing, any tuner worth their salt should have a gauge handy to test it out.

Not at the tuners now and it was the wife that took the car so she wouldn't have been asking the right questions,he said furl pimp to her so assume he tested the fuel pressure but I'll have to ring n ask

think my mate has some bosch greys that i can have for free and ill double check with the tuner tommorrow what the fpr was on the run and try to eliminate the pump n reg, anyone got a spare 3" maf housing and do the golf ones fit the airbox or do i just put a cone filter on

62ea00b5.jpg

64c68a72.jpg

Last edited:
Think you have to modify the airbox so the maf fits in fine like Mark did im sure. Or as you say could just use a cone filter.

If i can do it, anyone can...

I agree it's more likely to be out of fueling due to injectors running at max duty cycle. A simple pressure check of the fuel system is easy to rule out the pump and FPR

Think the Bosch greys are 440cc or would these be too big only aiming for 230 bhp until I get the money for the gt28

440s wont be too big.
your map determines what you should be seeing for duty cycle for whatever size injector.

unless you start stretching into 1000cc injectors having them a big big is not a problem. you only get idle problems when they are massive.

what does your remap call for?

if you are planning a gt28 build in future then 440's wont cut it IMO, especially at high boost.
you really want to be close to late 500 or 630's for a GT28xx you really dont want to find out you have run out of injector head room at WOT and 25psi!

I'll use the 440 for now then get the bigger ones when I actually
Get the turbo, and get the map altered to suit them

Just make sure they are proper high impedence saturated injectors and not the low impedence peak-hold style or you'll quite likely damage the ECU.

Think there 12 ohm or whatever the rating is but will double check might fit an adjustable fpr aswell to give me more scope to either turn it down to 3 bar or keep it at the 4 whichever is required