Fuel filter 2.6v6 quattro please help me

audiv8quattro

Reaction score
Hi everyone I decided to give my a4 2.6 v6 quattro a good service so I changed the plugs oil + filters now I'm stuck on the fuel filter, it seems to be on the drivers side wedged in-between the fuel tank and the underneath of the car, do I really have to remove the fuel tank to change this thing or is there an easier way, has anyone got a guide or any pics of the easiest way to do this, I've changed plenty before but never on an Audi and typical aud, things are never simple. Thanks all

you can do it by loosening the tank straps and letting the tank down a bit. Dont have to completely remove the tank, but you do have to move it.

Ok so I've loosened the tank straps ok I've actually took all four bolts clean of the car but the tank still isn't moving it just won't budge I've taken the rear seat out because I thought there might be a couple of bolts under there but nothing except some kind of electrical box an about a thousand wires, it just won't budge an inch

I had to change the filter on my 2.8 as it was corroded and weeping. I managed to get a (think it was 8mm) ring spanner in and loosen the filter strap slightly. With a but of pulling and swearing the filter came free but the strap had broke. Which was fine cos it was a tw*t of a location. Bought a nice big jubilee clip, refitted new filter and on my tank (assuming your tank will be the same) there is a sturdy bit of plastic which went round a bit of the fuel filter. I just fitted the jubilee round this and the filter, nipped it all up and jobs a good 'en. Passed its mot as its nice and secure plus will be much easier to change in the future!

Cheers dan it's a pain in the a**e mate I've never done one this hard before typical Audi lol

Buddy, its not hard to do at all. Did it on my 98 2.8 avant last year. As long as you can get your car on ramps and raise it a few feet for easy access it should be no prob. Make sure when buying your new filter you also get new bolts and washers too. Here is a guide on how to do it from start to finish! ENJOY!............AudiWorld Tech Articles
Scroll down untill you come across the heading "fuel filter replacement".

Ollie

Cheers phoenixv6quattro just about to go and give it ago only problem is I already brought filter from my motor factors and like you said I need all the bolts ect but on new filter there are no threads or anything to bolt pipes to the filter where as my old filter has a big 19mm bolt on the bottom of it, does it matter or can I just forger about the bolts and jubilee clip the fuel hoses to each end if the filter?thanks again

Ok so just read the post on Audi world and it looks like they have sold me the wrong filter mine just has two nipple like things on each end of the filter so it doesn't look like I can do it. I'll take a drive down to the place I brought it and change it, strange as I gave them my reg number aswell so they got the right part. Oh well

Ok I'm gonna go and exchange it they're useless where I go they are always giving me wrong parts but there isn't anywhere else near me so I'll just have to put up with them for now