Cv Joints

tsporta4

Reaction score
How easy are they to replace. Both sides are clicking which to me says they need replacing.how long would it take is it easier to get garage to do them.Btw Its a B5 1.8t sport
Cheers

Last edited:
Depends if the pinch bolt securing the suspension top arms to upright is seized or not...

Mine weren't seized and it took me about 30mins to remove driveshaft. If you have access to a vice then dismantling driveshaft will be pretty straightforward, if not you would have to bolt it back on to gearbox to split shaft etc. You will need some "XZN" bits - 8mm for inboard bolts and 14mm for hub bolt IIRC. Perfect weather for it now (I did mine on the street in January. Brrrrrrr)!

It is always easier to get a garage to do it, but alas not cost effective. I was quoted about £300, but thankfully the guys here encouraged me to DIY.

Thanks for the reply.

I generally d things myself put a new engine in with help. so its pretty straight forward then any recommendations where to get the cvs from and how much a good set should cost me

Luckily all I needed to do was replace the CV boot, so I don't know about the cost of CV joints etc. From what I have read here, there seem to be two types of outer shaft -the thicker diameter outer shafts are for S4's and TQS's, whilst the narrower shafts are common to the rest of the models. I think...

Not sure what brands are out there but it seems the B5 doesn't seem to like non-OEM parts that much!

oh nice and expensive then looks like i will sell it with the cv noise then thanks for your replies

yeah i suppose your right depends wat they want for them and whether they are in better nick tbh

You can get away by just undoing the inner shafts then the the bolt on the outers then removing the full shaft iirc ...

i tried that but couldnt get the shaft out, and ended up popping the pinch bolt as well.

There are quite a few variations in the CV joints.

The outers fit two different sized hubs, with V6 and TQS models getting the larger 82mm bearings and the lower models getting 75mm bearings. The shafts themselves come in at least three sizes of spline, which roughly translates to small - used on most of the 4 cylinder cars, medium - used on V6's and the TQS, and large - used on the S4/RS4.

The inner CV also differs depending on wether its FWD or quattro and depending on the engine used. Most FWD's use a 108mm inner CV, the big v6 diesels use a larger one. Most quattros use a 100mm inner CV, barring the S4 which uses a 108mm one, however due to the larger shaft its a different 108mm one to the FWD one above.

I assume that the car is 1.8T FWD? So from Aragorn's post above you should have the smaller hub, and the joint with the 75mm bearing that fits the small spline shaft. So long as the shaft is still serviceable and it is the outer CV that is clicking, I wouldn't worry about the various inner CV's at this point.

If your going to be selling the car as mentioned above, it is a tricky decision. Do you: a) sell as is and risk getting haggled down because of the CV joints; or b) repair properly but risk not getting back the cost of parts? Personally I would go for the repair and try to get best price for car.

I assume that the car is 1.8T FWD? So from Aragorn's post above you should have the smaller hub, and the joint with the 75mm bearing that fits the small spline shaft. So long as the shaft is still serviceable and it is the outer CV that is clicking, I wouldn't worry about the various inner CV's at this point.

If your going to be selling the car as mentioned above, it is a tricky decision. Do you: a) sell as is and risk getting haggled down because of the CV joints; or b) repair properly but risk not getting back the cost of parts? Personally I would go for the repair and try to get best price for car.

Yeah i agree i will look in to it and see which one is clicking.

I have two TQS CV's with smaller spline that I swapped out when I did my brake upgrade.
they need a new home, sure we could come to some arrangement given they are fecking heavy to post.
I happen to be travelling down the east side of the country on friday so if you are swift and email me (ed(at)ersg(dot)com) I could sort something out