replaceing bottom ball joint radius arms

ex911driver

Reaction score
hi,i am in the process of changing out both bottom ball joint radius arms...have got a plan of action,but would appreciate any advice from any kind soul on the forum who has done this job before...many thanks.

If your doing the rears I'd drop the subframe to remove the bolt as you will struggle otherwise !

Yep, you need to drop the subframe to get that dam bolt out. Only other option is pull the bolt out as far as it goes then cut the dam thing, it's what I'm going to do this weekend am I hell as like dropping the subframe.... O and the new bolt will go in from the other way.

I have got to do the front as well!..i can see what you mean,there is not enough space to clear the underside for the rear,..the front will definatly have to have that rum looking bracket mounting thingimagig..i will succeed...or cut the car in half with a blow torch!!

Aahh! the joys of home mecanics...i have the front arm to do as well!..and that brings on a whole new kind of hell!..the front will have to have the sub frame dropped or maybe the large engine mounting bracket..which sounds even worse!...i will succeed...or use a gas axe and turn my car into an 1800cc motorcyclepedvelosopede!...many thanks for your advice and hope your weekend car maintenance goes well

i did one of mine last week , its easy enough to do , take out said bolt as for as it goes ,place a trolley jack on the rear of the subframe then just undo the one subframe bolt ,the one nearest to the arm bolt , dont take it out fully just about an inch will do it ,then carefully lower the t/jack utill the arm bolt will slide out , its that easy ,takes about1/2 hour!

Hi,

I would advise making sure both sides of the car are level i.e on axel stands when attempting to change any of the arms. Having at least one jack spare to fine tune alignment of bolt holes etc when putting bolts back in. I managed to remove the bolt without removing the subframe. A long handled 18mm spanner would be useful as I found the bolts to be very tight.

you don't have to touch the subframe or engine mount to remove the front bolt, just the rear one. Also if possible clean the end of the bolt, otherwise you will have to drag the nut through a very rusty bolt end! Also try and put a bit of copper slip on the end to help get the nut off.

Yeh the front one just unbolts, no messing with the subframe needed.

For the rear one i unbolted just that one corner of the subframe, and levered it down with a big piece of wood before sliding the bolt out.

Many thanks to you all for all of your help and advice,i have replaced both bottom ball joints and have cured all annoying....squeaks!...Cheers.