need advice on turbo

teo420

Reaction score
so as my turbo is destroyed

I been thinking should I rebuild it ? (if rebuildable... will check tomorow as havent had the time to take it apart and look inside)

get a new one ???
or get a K04 turbo
and if i do get a k04 what changes do I need to make to the car to make it run with this bigger turbo
besides injector upgrade and software upgrade

btw stock turbo is K03?

Last edited:
From what i saw of the last pics, the compressor wheel is shot so if replacing parts, it will need to be balanced. Plus the loss of oil pressure will have damaged the journal bearings to some degree.

K03 turbos are on ebay for cheap enough. (ensure it is only off a passat or a4 though, golf/leon/a3 will not fit)

the "k03s" as its known by some people, is from a B6 1.8t BEX engined 190bhp car (?) and bolts on directly.

K04 are rarer, more expensive and you will prob require injectors, CUSTOM remap, FMIC as a minimum.

Part numbers would be: K03-029 (std) / K03-073 (k03s) / K04-015 (k04).

I dont profess to know all, but if im wron on any of this, im sure someone will chime in soon.

Last edited:
K04 won't technically require anything but it will run like a stock k03. Remap will be the the only way to reep benefits of higher boost but as its only slightly bigger it won't require any mods as such eg: FMIC etc etc

Have a look at this 47k - 250830165212

If you want more power without the remap look at getting a bigger maf and injectors.

DO NOT buy one of those cheap too-good-to-be-true turbos on ebay.

They're ****e and will fail in a few thousand miles.

Have a look at this 47k - 250830165212

If you want more power without the remap look at getting a bigger maf and injectors.

looks good but price is a bit high
:think:
i might jut buy the one with broken actuator
just messaged the guy with a few questions
he answered--- "The car it came off had about 104,000 on the clock. I don't know if was the original turbo though. I just took it off of the other car before I sold it. There is a little play both ways 1-2mm."

1-2mm is that within the norm???
i dont wanna have to rebuild it in a few thousand miles

btw i got the car mostly together left headlight and bumper off so i have some room when installing
the turbo

when cleaning the pipes i found the lost nut from
and the dump valve with broken vac inlet
previous owner was a dumb *** and broke so much tings on the front end
makes me wanna kick his ***

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

"There is a little play both ways 1-2mm."

1-2mm is that within the norm???
i dont wanna have to rebuild it in a few thousand miles
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Is that 1-2mm play in the shaft :blink: if so, i'd say its ******...!!!

These turbos typically do have a bit of play in them, as the journal bearing requires oil pressure to work.

1mm might be ok for a high mileage core so long as the compressor wheel cant touch the housing at the largest extreme of movement.

2mm does sound excessive.

I found the market for these turbos pretty crap tbh. Its full of breakers/traders wanting £300 or so for a used turbo, or knackered ones going for peanuts. Given you can get the turbo rebuilt for around 3-400, or even upgrade it to one of the entry level scroll products for similar money, £300 for a used one is a ripoff.

These turbos typically do have a bit of play in them, as the journal bearing requires oil pressure to work.

1mm might be ok for a high mileage core so long as the compressor wheel cant touch the housing at the largest extreme of movement.

2mm does sound excessive.

I found the market for these turbos pretty crap tbh. Its full of breakers/traders wanting £300 or so for a used turbo, or knackered ones going for peanuts. Given you can get the turbo rebuilt for around 3-400, or even upgrade it to one of the entry level scroll products for similar money, £300 for a used one is a ripoff.

def a rip off

i found one K03 turbo Fits audi A4 VW passat Golf TURBO CHARGER NEW on eBay (end time 02-Jul-11 19:22:48 BST)
messaged the guy he says turbo has no play on both sides and is new
from the pictures looks like there is a snapped bolt but thats not true

That looks a lot better, just be careful you dont end up paying over the odds for it...