Turbo Intake Pipes

Austineer

King of cabs ;)
Reaction score
Guys,

I am interested in getting a Samco Turbo Intake Pipe (TIP). However after speaking to one of the guys at forge I was informed that Samco didnt produce one for my engine code (AJL). To be honest I was under the assumption that all the TIP's for the 1.8T B5's would be the same reguardless of engine code as the orientation of the airbox & turbo etc is exactly the same, or so I thought.

Can any of you shed a little light on this and provide any reasons why they would be different? If not is there any others in here with an engine code of AJL that has found a suitable silicon replacement for the TIP? Some feedback would be appreciated.

Mat,

There may be different take offs on the samco to yours. The best way to see is to remove your airbox and see how many different things attach to the inlet hose such as the N75, DV .etc, then compare it with pictures of the samco for numbers and also location of the take-offs. The actual connection between airbox and turbo is the same for sure. If you find that you have less things that attach to intake than the samco does, you can just block the hole off.

Hope this helps

Rich

Dont take everything that Forge say as gospel. They told me that they didnt do a uprated Side Mount intercooler for the B5. However it is listed in their catalogue and I know of a car that has one fitted. Venair do a hose kit for the B5 but unfortunately it doesnt include the TIP. They could probably make you one though.

does a bigger tip make much of a difference?

Cheers for the feedback guys. Yeah I have seen that pic of the Samco TIP and it apprears to be about right for my car, thats why i asked the question. Only way to be sure is to take mine out then compare against pic.

One of the main reasons I am looking at this mod is due to the fact that my TIP (turbo inlet end) is absolutely soft as /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif and I suspect is calapsing at higher rpm in the high gears. You only have to look at the thing and it would probably calapse lol. N.B. I have actually taken mine out about 4-5 times at least whilst playing about with the DV, K04, N75's & manual boost controller etc.

This I am sure the combination of taking it in & out, along with the bigger turbo hasn't helped keep the ridgidity of the pipe or its ability to maintain its form under high vacuum. AmD use a steel sleave insert in some of their K04 upgrades due to the isssue of calpasing TIP's. They do this because its cheaper that replacing it with a Silicon one. Both do the Same job but I think the Silicon one is the better option as it has a smoother lining inside plus your have the ridgidity throughout the pipe and not just at the turbo inlet side.

So for me I think this mod is more of a prevention of loss of power rather then actually increase in performance as such. So for those who have fitted the Samco TIP's and noticed not a great deal of difference it maybe due to the fact that their TIP was in a good condition in the first place, and not actually collapsing. So hopefully if I am right, and mine actually is callapsing, I may notice a slight increase in performance and get a few bhp at the top end. Fingers crossed and being optimistic I am hoping for 3-5 bhp & a smoother delivery. I realise I may actually get F**k all but it should sound a little better at least.

ah i see, wont make any difference too a tdi then as they dont have any form of vacuum.

diesels dont draw a vacuum though when you lift off the gas, hence the reason why dump valves dont work on them either.