rattle on 98 S4 Avant

tonybolony

Reaction score
Ok so i have a S4 Avant i am restoring as i got it very cheap, the car fires up ok which is a relief though it has some leaks. my main first concern is a rattle in the exhause somewhere near the front, how can i tel if its the Cats or the heat sheilds? and if its the Sheilds how easy to sort it is and where is there location etc etc.

any help really appreciated

Yeh, and early cars had a known problem with the manifolds breaking up.

Obviously you want to check it definately is the manifolds before ripping the motor out!

Remove the heat shields first if I were you. I had the same rattle on my 1998 2.8 avant a while back. I removed the heat shields (3 or 4 nuts If I remember right secures them per side) and the rattle went. Not a hard job at all.

I got the same thing,driving me crazy! I put new bolts in the heatsheilds bit it's still there.

ooooohh, another thread I can relate to!!

I too, have a rattle from the manifold area. ONLY after giving my car a ride from hell! It loved it really. Or at least i did as the car performed and handled superbly with heel/toe driving!

I've got two new manifold gaskets to fit. So i'm now hoping its the heat shields as it seems common.

Ok so i have a S4 Avant i am restoring as i got it very cheap, the car fires up ok which is a relief though it has some leaks. my main first concern is a rattle in the exhause somewhere near the front, how can i tel if its the Cats or the heat sheilds? and if its the Sheilds how easy to sort it is and where is there location etc etc.

any help really appreciated
How cheap did you get it for then and whats the spec on it? Any pics? Ive also just bought a cheap S4 project. Its arriving Monday morning and i got it for a bargain £1000. Just needs a bit of bodywork and the airbag and ABS lights sorting. Also a lambda sensor

How cheap did you get it for then and whats the spec on it? Any pics? Ive also just bought a cheap S4 project. Its arriving Monday morning and i got it for a bargain £1000. Just needs a bit of bodywork and the airbag and ABS lights sorting. Also a lambda sensor

A bag of sand!!!!( In a dodgy Mike Brewer accent!) Where do you find bargains like this? Get some pics of these steals up please.

A bag of sand!!!!( In a dodgy Mike Brewer accent!) Where do you find bargains like this? Get some pics of these steals up please.
Sorry for the hijack OP but here you go Foxmeister. He wanted an extra £300 for the Avus' and i am going to change them anyway so didnt bother. You can just see the dented front wingand both drivers doors but nothing major at all. Has a full Milltek too
012.jpg

017.jpg

022.jpg

007-1.jpg

Last edited:
pretty car. i will get round to some of mine. It s a Blue Avant 1998 standard except for a 350BHP remap. Black Leather interior.

Quick question if it is the manifolds i am guessing its a skin that rattles? could i pump loads of silicon between them? seen as it dont melt or burn? , will check heat shields first though, are they easy to locate?

The manifolds have a sort of inner pipework that carries the gas and then an outer shell round it.

The inner pipes can break up at the end and come detached from the shell, causing the rattle, but more importantly, the bits of metal that break off go streight into the turbine wheel on the turbo, so if left unchecked will quite likely destroy the turbo when a big enough piece breaks off.