Fuel problem i think ????

audiv8quattro

Reaction score
Hi all hope everyone is ok in the Audi world because I'm not, right I was driving my a4 2.6 v6 quattro down probably the busiest road where I live and all of a sudden the screen that tells me how much fuel I have beeped and went to zero, which is fine because I sometimes let it run down to zero before filling up, not very often but normally when it's close to payday and I can usually get about 30 miles from when the fuel hits zero till I fill up,I've never run out of fuel before but anyway all of a sudden the car gets really lumpy and dies on me but I've only done about 20 metres driving since it went to zero as it was 9 am in the morning and it was busy so I pushed the car of the road and tried to start it and funny enough it started but when I press the accelarator I got nothing except some banging from under the car, so I walked to the petrol station about 2 mins from where i broke down and filled up a jerry can, put the fuel in the car and it's fine now but still running a bit lumpy, went to my local motor factors and brought a new fuel filter ( still haven't fitted it yet as it seems a bit of a ***** to do I've done plenty of them before but this one is different), do you think this is the problem, the thing I'm worried abut is why the car was banging when I pressed the accelerator, sorry for the long thread but hope someone can help

Bang as in something knocking under the car if that makes sense definatly not a backfire, it would bang or more like a knocking noise 3 or 4 times really quick when the accelerator peddle was pressed in then car would die thanks for quick reply

i don't really know so, maybe a coincident that fuel was low and car started acting up.
probably better off not starting car until getting it checked out in case of further damage.
i wouldn't recommend leaving your car get that low on fuel because there would be rust and grit in the end of the tank that might get into the injectors.

Yeah I know I shouldn't do it but sometimes I have to, because I get paid fortnightly I usually fill car up then by the time next payday comes I'll be near enough empty but it's just strange that basically when it hit zero on the dis it cut out and would start again but with no throttle response at all except knocking noises, I drove car home as soon as I put fuel in which is about 1/4 mile down the road and haven't really run it since although it ran fine on way home, I've seen how much damage it can do if you run a car with a fault. Thanks again kev

Last edited: