Badger5Volks Autos
    2nd Gear

Status

Pipercross unoiled or standard filter

What's the best option sn un oiled pipercross or a standard filter, the car has a remap, front mount, sp51 and a decat with 2.75" stainless exhaust
    Last edited by jamie226bhp; 21st June 2011 at 20:55.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Standard filter, all oil filters do is feck up the maf. I look at it from this point of view if the rs4 can do 300 + bhp on a standard paper filter then thas good enough for me.

6th Gear

Status
    I have a pipercross panel filter. Been fine for me for nearly the 18months or so i`ve had it. Compared to the likes of K&N its not that oily. Plus you can just clean the MAF with electrical cleaner to get oil and other crap off.

Im waiting on a Jetex cone filter to arrive hopefully tomorrow and then going to make my own heatshield.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    They're oiled because they dont filter the air well enough without the oil...

Running without the oil means poor filtration, and with it is dodgy for the MAF sensor.

Its all completely pointless anyway, £3 paper filter does the job.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2nd Gear

Status
    Paper filter it is then

6th Gear

Status
    Everyone has their own opinions on filters on all aspects. People still say cone filters in an open bay are useless but then a lot of people on the A3/S3 side stick on a jetex cone for instance and report and increase in G/S readings..ok its probably increased flow but decreased filtration but not to the point of your car going bang immediately.

Bill says Pipercross is bad, Alex from Backdraft says Pipercross is good and uses them on all builds. Swings and roundabouts really. It`ll clog up the MAF over time sure but you can always clean it. People seem to make out that it`ll kill the MAF almost instantly.

End of the day do what you want to do and you dont have to listen to what others say because as i say people have different views and opinion on different subjects.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

Status
    I've had a K&N panel in mine now for 10k+ with no problems. Ok it doesn't make it go any quicker or sound better but it means I don't have to piss about with that bloody stupid box lol
    2000 1.8t quattro Sport totally standard (ish)

6th Gear

Status
    I run a K&N oiled cone filter. It offers no increase or decrease in performance (well +1bhp but that can be down to any number of factors). I am aware of the MAF fouling issues and clean it regularly to prevent issues.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

6th Gear

Status
    How do you mean you don't touch the air box? Don't you clean & re-oil the filter. Every time I do a filter change I also hover out the air box as the crap that gets inside there after 10k miles is amazing.