What boost do chipped cars run?

B5QUAT

Reaction score
Been looking around at the chip upgrades for the 1.8T

Found one for £249 which claims to take the 180bhp car to 211bhp and increase torque from 235 to 300Nm.

Has anyone has such a conversion done? What was your opinion of it and does anyone know what boost the cars run to achieve these figures?

Thanks

You quite simply wont get 211hp from the standard turbo fitted to the AJL engine.

Even with the boost wound up to 20psi, the turbo simply isnt big enough, and you'll find the boost tails off once you get up the revs. You will ofcourse end up with a much bigger midrange spike, which makes the car feel faster

The turbo is flat out around 195-200hp in real non-bs numbers.

Thanks for that. I thought as much.

I was just curious to see what kind of boost could be run safely in the OEM Ko3. I'm looking to fit a big turbo long term but I've spent an arm and a leg recently and still have a full exhaust system to buy so will have to wait a bit for the turbo. I presume these £249 chips do nothing more than raise the boost which can be done with a 12 quid bleed valve. Was thinking of doing something cheap and cheerful along those lines as a temporary measure just to give a few more horses until the spondoolies build up ready for a Garrett swap.

I wouldn't bother chipping it if you are looking at fitting the FT to her as you will need a full custom tune then

I presume these £249 chips do nothing more than raise the boost which can be done with a 12 quid bleed valve. Was thinking of doing something cheap and cheerful along those lines as a temporary measure just to give a few more horses .

Check my thread on Engine mods with a difference. Its just a ball and spring MBC and a 1.5w Zener diode. Ran it on mine with no real problems (unless you were throwing it up to redline) car felt A LOT faster. only took it off because it made the clutch slip (but think it was the original one on 140k)

The £250 chips probably have full maps, adjusting the fuelling, boost, and other bits and pieces. But R-Tech in Hinkley have a deal at the moment on ebay and will remap for £150... im tempted myself

Thanks for that. I thought as much.

I was just curious to see what kind of boost could be run safely in the OEM Ko3. I'm looking to fit a big turbo long term but I've spent an arm and a leg recently and still have a full exhaust system to buy so will have to wait a bit for the turbo. I presume these £249 chips do nothing more than raise the boost which can be done with a 12 quid bleed valve. Was thinking of doing something cheap and cheerful along those lines as a temporary measure just to give a few more horses until the spondoolies build up ready for a Garrett swap.

Can't do these with an MBC (bleed valve) as the other electronics pull th eboost back again. They also adjust the fueling as well as the boost.

About 200bhp is the limit on the K03

Thanks for the replies.

200 isn't much of an increase, i know, but probably worth the £150 R-Tech are quoting. I'll have a look at that. Cheers

Will do me for now until I save up for big turbo.