Coolant Temperature sensor location in the 1.9TDi AJM

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Drove to work and got no temp on the dis, so if figure the sensor is gone. Went to ECP to get a new one however there are two options listed for my engine “Green” & “Blue” they could not tell me the difference, and I’ve got no idea what is fitted to my car or the location, anyone know the location of this or which one would be fitted to my car.

The car is a 2000 MY with the 1.9 AJM engine 115 BHP

It's on the back of the engine in the black plastic flange with the hoses for the heater matrix (follow the 2 hoses next to the battery). Quite fiddly to get at- make shure the engine is cold to avoid scalding or to burn your hand on the catalist. Get a new clip - if plastic and a new o-ring !

I got a spare sender at home that I don't need.
I'm happy to sell it on to you if you want.
Its complete with clip and O-ring.

You can check the temp sender via the AC controls.

Thanks for the offer but I really wanted to pick one up today, ECP have both in stock I just don't know which one I have in the car.

look at the plug.

early type is square and late type is D shaped. I suspect you'll have a d-shaped one given the age (which is probably green)

Color alone might not be enough.

Correct, found the colour went back and was given another 2 option of plugs, went fot the D type.

Thanks

4 pin green is pretty much fitted to almost everything from 99 onwards across the VAG range. Sell them like they`re going out of fashion at work lol