Audi A4 2.8 to a 1.8 TQ

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have the 2.8 V6 Q Avant (pre-facelift) and I love the car. Due to a recent house move and further distance to travel to work, the weekly fuel bill has doubled!

I'd like a 1.8TQS Avant but bit out of my price range at moment due to work on the house etc.

As already said, I love my Avant. What would be required for a 180BHP A4 1.8T transplant into my shell?

Engine, Turbo and ancillaries and ecu? Anything else?

Cheers,

Dan

You would also need subframe & engine mounts, front springs & shocks, and at least the cat & down pipe of the exhaust. No idea about the gearbox.

wiriing, intercooler,exhaust, gearbox should be fine but taller geared.

TBH it will be cost prohibative as TQS avants can be had for around 1800 and it will cost you around a grand for the necc bits even at scrappy prices tbh

hmmm, Prob scrap that idea then. Unless i can hold of a full donor car.

What is the main difference between the 150Bhp & 180Bhp lumps? Can a 150 be easily tuned to 180?

Dan

No major difference, and in theory if you got hold of an AJL ECU it should work. What kind of MPG are you getting with the V6, as my 180 struggles to get 30MPG overall even when going easy!

Also changing the engine for a completely different unit may be a nightmare for insurance!

i know i saw it the other day when i was doing some daily browsing (as usual lol) so thought i would post it. have found some cool stuff in the past week check the classifieds theres a full votex kit on flea bay :)

My long term Average MPG is in my sig.

The car will return around 30-31mpg driving on the motorway (typically around 75-80). Best ever for a tank was 32mpg at an indicated 70mph (so more like 66) on the motorway.

Around town the MPG drops to 24-25.

My brother has an S4, which returns around 29mpg on the motorway, at similar speeds to the TQS returning 30-31. His around town figures are currently down in the teens, but his car has a broken thermostat meaning it takes ages to heat up.

Not sure what your V6 manages, but i'd expect that if the S4 can come within 3 mpg of the 1.8T on a run then so can the V6.

As for doing the conversion, it wont cost you anywhere near a grand tbh. I'd buy a complete 1.8T FWD A4, which can be baught on ebay for around 3-400quid or less with mechanical faults/damaged panels etc. That then gives you everything to transplant across, and you can probably stick the old engine on ebay and make 1-200 back on that too.

I may be wrong but i dont think you'd need to swap the subframe, but you may have to swap the two alloy mounts that the engine mountings sit on. Having the whole car means you have everything available anyway, and parts to sell on when your finished as well.

What is the main difference between the 150Bhp & 180Bhp lumps? Can a 150 be easily tuned to 180?

Nothing.

The AJL (180hp) is completely identical to the AEB in every way. Its only the ECU mapping thats different, and you can simply have the AEB ECU remapped to 180+ hp.

I'm getting an average of 25.4mpg. The hills around where i live dont help! That TQS listed above wasn't to my taste. But, it went cheap! I'm not sure what mine would be worth though? 164k miles with recent rebuilt engine. Drives mint. I love the colour and leather setup etc. Hence why i wanted to look at replacing the lump.

Maybe should look for a quattro oil burner avant. lol

its country roads stuff circa the 40mph mark just to get the mpg up! lol

On dual carriageways it gets to about 29.8 if i'm lucky at 60/65mph.

Engine temp guage gets to 90c at a reasonable pace.

I've got a full A4 1.8T (AEB) that I need to get rid off, has a crack in the hot side of the turbo so would need a new hot side. Looking for £300 for the full car. I'm in the north east about 40miles from york.

Last edited:
THanks B5NUT, i've already seen your post about the car. Was interested until i was offered a VW Polo for free! Bodywork a bit of a shamble but runds great and stops fab. one onwer from new. Its my wife's friend. So hopefully i'll have that in the next few weeks and keep the Audi as my toy.