Chiming through speakers i think

tsporta4

Reaction score
Every so often i will be driving my a4 1.8t and it will give 3 loud chimes i think through the speaker system its doing my nut in its intermittent and random . any help appreciated :happy:

Its the dashboard warning you of a problem. There are only a small number of things that will give three chimes, oil pressure, coolant level and ABS/Brake fault.

Typically the warning would be followed by a symbol flashing up on the DIS telling you what its problem is, dont you get this?

Hi aragorn
Sorry for slow reply

I guess you mean on the centre screen i get no symbols or nothing.
found i have the wrong vcdslead too so cant check it that way.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Chris

as in a bose head unit.

Im running an after market head unit now

It did have an audi delta in there

Your probably right, but Bose amps do give beep codes when there is a fault

i cut rear speaker amp out and am running aftermarket one

Its almost certainly the dashboard and nothing to do with the speakers.

How is the cars service history? Has it had regular oil changes and does the oil appear clean?

I'd have to guess at an intermittent oil pressure issue, likely caused by sludge, without any other information.

Full service history from new early mileage was audi servicing the rest was garage. I did an engine swap due to rod failiure put a 80k passat 1.8t aeb lump in should of really checked what pick up pipe was like , I dont know history of this engine but looked recently service when i recieved it. im using 5/40 and 5/30 its had 2 oil changes and filters. Maybe i might take sump off and have a look done sump on a Ford is it simple on the audi then. yeah i would agree dashboard but hard to determine.
Thanks for the help ;-)

Its a bit of a pig on the A4 TBH as the subframe is in the way. Its been done by jacking up the engine and wrestling with the pan though.

If you have vagcom you can view the status of the oil pressure switch with the engine running and hot. The switch should change over at 1bar, but the dash ignores the switch below 2000rpm, so you can end up with super low oil pressure at low RPM's and no warning.

Its very odd that it doesnt appear on the display though. I guess you could try ruling the coolant reservoir out by unplugging the sensor (and possibly bridging it depending on the age of the car) and also scanning the ABS controller for faults to double check its not that.

Thanks for the advice and info im will attempt to get the right vagcom lead as the last one i bought didnt fit ;-( and scan it like you say see what the results are hasnt done it for a few weeks would bleep around 8omph.

Have you sorted the oil temp switch yet as that wire was loose last time I looked. Also has an old hands free kit in there which might be causing some problems. Bell me when your down this way and I'll make some time to give you a hand.

Have you sorted the oil temp switch yet as that wire was loose last time I looked. Also has an old hands free kit in there which might be causing some problems. Bell me when your down this way and I'll make some time to give you a hand.

i havent as ebay dnt do them and audi made me spend 25 quid on the wrong coolant temp sensor so looking for a decent dealership to get my parts from. i willbe down on the 2nd mate as i need tyresso you can inspect