Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    6th Gear

Status

Unhappy Advice on breaking / scrapping a car

Need some advice on scraping an A4. I have a 1996 A4 1.8T FWD and today I went to fix a whistling problem on the exhaust, which I figured was just a gasket. However it turned out to be a large crack in the turbo.

I got the car about a year a go as I had planed to break it for spares, but after doing a bit of work on the car I got it back on the road an put 30K on the clock. I have been looking around for a 1.9TDi for some time due to the amount of miles I do, so I just cannot justify spending £200 - £400 on a used / new turbo, and the body work on the car is not in great condition (could do with a respray). So figured now is the time to get rid and look for the TDi.

The question is should I just phone up a local scrap yard or sell the bits or should break the bits I can and then phone the scap yard to collect the car would I get much for the car?

I know the engine is good as I had the car on the rolling road last year, so I think I should be able to get a few quid for the engine, but would the breaker take a car without an engine or would I have to pay them?

Dyno result for the engine

PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANY PARTS REQUESTS ON THIS THREAD I'M JUST LOOKING FOR ADVICE AT THE MOMENT. Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Depending on the scrap value at the time you may get 150-200 for it at a vehicle recycling place, you should make more on parts as long as you have the space and time to do it.

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Whats the engine code ? I would say you would get more scrapping it in bits than scrapping it as a whole why not try we buy any car lol I got offered around £610 for a 1997 A4 B5 1.8 ADR with 100k on the clock but that said prior to inspection on day of pick up so they would of knocked it down a few quid for sure. But then again you may get more in bits it's just a waiting game !!
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F4 Kit - THS Decat - Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do - F21 Upgrade - 3" Maf/Saab red Injectors
    WANTED : Cheap 02/52 Passat 1.8T AWT Manual

6th Gear

Status
    Cheers for the advice so far.

It's the AEB engine

Status
    Ok, you could try and pick up the hot side of a blown/scrap turbo providing the penny valve is ok from a scrappers/eBay or see if one of the guys on here has one that you can get and fit it to your existing turbo or just get the flapper changed on yours. I'm just waiting on getting the frankenturbo as I couldn't last month as the washer broke so had to dip into my funds but I told the misses if my car goes your having it up the backsidelol

Mods - Frankenturbo F4 Kit - THS Decat - Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount

Status
    Oops your penny valve hasn't gone that's LeeT's lol but same principle if the cracks on the hot side !! The carling must be kicking in lol

6th Gear

Status
    That is an option, but looking on ebay there is only one spares or repair and he is asking £75 The opther problem is the body work, it realy does need a good respray.

If I was doing 15-20 miles a day commute then I would just fix the turbo, but I'm doing around 500-600 miles a week and with petrol prices so high at the moment I could save a shed load of cash by just moving to a 1.9TDi.

Status
    Good point but people would pay that sort of money when the shanghai specials are a no go k04 are around £700 and a genuine k03 from Audi is around the £1200 mark iirc as the k03 turbo's on the 1.8T's are common for cracking and throwing the penny valve, Why not try the scrappers for the hot side I'm sure you could haggle for it lol and consider a vinyl wrap then get rid ?

6th Gear

Status
    Local scap yard only has A/N engine 1.8 A4's. I know Veedubs in Gateshead will have them but I'm not paying their prices.

6th Gear

Status
    Just put the car up for sale on ebay spares or repair, as I was offered £200 by a local scrap yard.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Just put the car up for sale on ebay spares or repair, as I was offered £200 by a local scrap yard.
    whats the item number?

6th Gear

Status
    I will put that in the b5 ebay thread.