1.8T Remappable ECU'S

LeeT

Reaction score
At what year did the B5 ECU become remappable? As i have read on here somewhere that some have to be chipped or switched out to a later ECU??

Effectively none of them are flashable, they all have to be chipped.

The early ones are extremely difficult/impossible to find the physical rom chip they require, as its long discontinued and isnt rewritable. The later ECU's use a much more common rom.

A good tuner doing a custom map on one of these ECU's would use an Emulator in place of the rom, while he got the map nailed down, then he would burn the virtual rom to a real chip and fit it.

Effectively none of them are flashable, they all have to be chipped.

The early ones are extremely difficult/impossible to find the physical rom chip they require, as its long discontinued and isnt rewritable. The later ECU's use a much more common rom.

A good tuner doing a custom map on one of these ECU's would use an Emulator in place of the rom, while he got the map nailed down, then he would burn the virtual rom to a real chip and fit it.

thanks for that, so what would be considered an early one? which years? A good tuner being someone like MRC?

They changed over around 1997 i think.

You can tell just by looking at the ECU. The early ones are really chunky square oldskool looking things, and have 5 small individual plugs. The later ones are slimmer and rounded off, and have two large plugs.

hmmm, ive got an early 97 on a P. I'll have to take a look when i get the car back here on Friday. If it is the early one am i knackered in the way of tuning or can i swap it out for a newer one relatively easily?

You can swap the later harness and ECU in without too much problem, infact i have one here if your interested :p

Yay i have a later one on a 98 lol.

If you`re chassis number is up to 8DW100 then you have an early one, if its over that then its a late ECU

Saying that looking at a 97 if its 8DV onwards then it goes up to 99..

hhm chassis number is needed to work it out properly.

Last edited:
You can swap the later harness and ECU in without too much problem, infact i have one here if your interested :p
I could be when i have had a look to see what i have there on friday. How much are you looking for?

Yay i have a later one on a 98 lol.

If you`re chassis number is up to 8DW100 then you have an early one, if its over that then its a late ECU

Saying that looking at a 97 if its 8DV onwards then it goes up to 99..

hhm chassis number is needed to work it out properly.

I'll get the chassis number on friday

Kind of on the same subject Ive got a chipped ecu to swap over for my standard one but it run like s**t after setting it all up. Check both of them the only difference is the last 2numbers and very last letter. Would I need to get hold of the chipped ecu harness to?

It should run fine, unless you've fitted the wrong MAF or something.

Theres a few different MAF's depending on the exact ECU you've got.

Vagcom said something about 02 sensor and MAF. But runs fine with standard ecu. For the short time it was fitted the revs were really lumpy and throwing out black smoke.

It's being sorted now, the ecu that was sent had a different bosch number. A new one is being sent over now that identical to mine.