Oil leak - smoke when pulling off

alex-qts

Reaction score
Car has started to smoke under idle much heavier now! The car only smokes when it has been sitting for 1min+ and is much worse when starting on a hill or the car is fully loaded.

Apart from this the car does not smoke at all, no start-up smoke, WOT...ect and has an almost new K04 turbo.

It does have quite a large amount of blow-by with blue smoke through the oil cap too, I found this post below while searching, no replies unfortunately.

hi noticed my 1.8t puffs a bit of blue smoke only after idling for a while. never on start up or during running, So ruling out stem seals, turbo and rings, Its leading me to the breather/pvc system. I noticed a lot off oil is being dragged through the intake after unbloking the top breather pipe luckerly no leaks as the top breather hose was split. (not poor maintenance from me just brought the car) so im guessing the psv valve is has retired after a 140k. Anyone know where i can get a replacement pvc valve or is dealership only?

cheers

I am fairly sure that this is the piston rings as I have been told this before but this PCV valve has got me thinking - do I really need an engine rebuild after all? Is there any way to really pinpoint this oil leak?

Thanks for any help!

Was it a genuine Borg Warner turbo?

I would look at the one way valve under the inlet manifold, that could maybe cause high crankcase pressures if it's gummed up

I will have a look at the valve, maybe it is worth replacing to see if it makes a difference. the car always seems to smell like it is running too rich also.

Its an RP turbo, apparently they are pretty good, been on the car for over a year now without any problems. it was smoking before the new turbo was fitted so dont think that its the problem.