Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

A4 1.8T QS Facelift (2000) - OBD II Complaint?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the facelift A4's made in 2000 are OBD II complaint, I have looked for the stickers and tried to work out the pin layouts but have had no joy in getting a straight answer, I have had vag-com working but am now trying to use a Bluetooth ELM 327 OBD II adapter with an Android app called Torque to no avail!

I must have tried 15+ different software programs that "should be supported" but all I seem to get is a strange clicking coming from the dash area!!

Its an A4 1.8T quattro sport with engine code AJL if this makes any difference.

Thanks for any help!

Alex

2000 A4 Quattro T Sport

K04-015 Turbo @ 1.0 Bar -- Panel Air Filter -- 710n Diverter Valve -- Stealth Boost Gauge

2. # ADS
    ADS

Midlands regional Moderator

Status
    The A4-B5 Is a K line diagnostic, as such is not OBDII compliant (this was mad compulsory for petrols from 2001 and diesels from 2004). I also have an ELM327 interface (though mine is USB) and this will only access to "P" codes (ie: generic engine) and the battery voltage, No other live data can be viewed, and thats after forcing connection on partial support... AFAIK Unfortunately vag Com is the only "proper" tool that will give you the live data + ecu acess on the B5 (and some Hand held units like Omiscan/MTpro/etc at £2k+).

Hope this helps
    Currently rolling in a SKODA!!!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks mate, not the news I was hoping for but im glad I know now! The amount of time I have spent messing around with cables and software thinking I was the problem, the laptop, the calbe... etc!

Think I might turn my efforts into getting a decent small laptop and GOOD vag-com cable that works, I need to be able to view certain bits of data on the move!

Thanks

Alex

2000 A4 Quattro T Sport

K04-015 Turbo @ 1.0 Bar -- Panel Air Filter -- 710n Diverter Valve -- Stealth Boost Gauge

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alex-qts View Post
    Thanks mate, not the news I was hoping for but im glad I know now! The amount of time I have spent messing around with cables and software thinking I was the problem, the laptop, the calbe... etc!

Think I might turn my efforts into getting a decent small laptop and GOOD vag-com cable that works, I need to be able to view certain bits of data on the move!

Thanks

Alex
    Regarding the cable, that is a must. I got me one and it worked with vcds once on my laptop today. The pc recognises the lead but steadfastly refuses to recognise the driver now so vcds now spits its dummy out. Not Happy
    '01 A4 1.8T Avant Sport Manual - Ming Blue Pearl (daily workhorse)
    Done - Brembo Max Discs & Pads, PIAA White 4300K H7 bulbs - VERY DEAD - CAMBELT SNAPPED 7th July '11 on the M6

'01 A4 1.8T Avant Sport Auto Tip - Ebony Pearl (all back together now but still a little poorly ) - I've had enough of it time for bye bye

Otherwise both unfettled & unfiddled

Midlands regional Moderator

Status
    ebay special Kev? if so, i had the same problem, turns out it was a duff driver. though if you want i can email you the driver i used... (which has it working again)
    Currently rolling in a SKODA!!!

Neutral

Status
    AHHHHH Rob you are a star!!!!!!!

I was avoiding the too good to be true ebay 7.99 -8.99 specials from China & Hong Kong , paid £25. Looks like I've been trussed up like a turkey!!!!!

I've uninstalled & reinstalled VCDS, drivers, etc, etc, etc but still now joy. I'll PM you the email addy.
    Done - Brembo Max Discs & Pads, PIAA White 4300K H7 bulbs - VERY DEAD - CAMBELT SNAPPED 7th July '11 on the M6

'01 A4 1.8T Avant Sport Auto Tip - Ebony Pearl (all back together now but still a little poorly ) - I've had enough of it time for bye bye

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The cheap leads are more or less all the same.

The driver is just a pretty standard USB to Serial bridge, Windows 7 will typically find the driver automatically if you let it search online, rather than using the supplied CD.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    when I had problems connecting to vag-com I found that changing the virtual serial port helped. for some reason it would only work on port 4 not the usual 1 or 2??

2000 A4 Quattro T Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alex-qts View Post
    when I had problems connecting to vag-com I found that changing the virtual serial port helped. for some reason it would only work on port 4 not the usual 1 or 2??
    Ditto, vag com can only see ports 1-4 so you'll have to change it to one of them.

I have a cheapy vag-com lead and a cheapy bluetooth adaptor which I use for torque and they both work fine with my '96 tdi.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    I have been told that the Bluetooth adapter i have purchased does not support the protocol that our car uses (SAE J1850 i have been told??) but apparently this one does:

WIRELESS BLUETOOTH OBD2 OBD SCANNER INTERFACE SCANTOOL on eBay (end time 17-Jun-11 05:23:07 BST)

might have to give this one a try!!

2000 A4 Quattro T Sport

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    AHHHHH Rob you are a star!!!!!!!

I was avoiding the too good to be true ebay 7.99 -8.99 specials from China & Hong Kong , paid £25. Looks like I've been trussed up like a turkey!!!!!

I've uninstalled & reinstalled VCDS, drivers, etc, etc, etc but still now joy. I'll PM you the email addy.
    Bugger it, I've taken the plunge and have ordered up a VCDS-Pro Ross Tech kit from Ilexa (Buy the official Ross-Tech VCDS / VAG-COM diagnostic tool in the ilexa web shop) which contains a true HEX + CAN USB interface, 2 x 2 Adaptor, 14 pin round LT Adaptor, 3M Usb extension lead. This will be delivered tomorrow. Also have an old P4 HP laptop with XP lying about so I'll use that specifically for the diagnostics.
    Last edited by Keyser Soze; 27th May 2011 at 20:42.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Bugger it, I've taken the plunge and have ordered up a VCDS-Pro Ross Tech kit from Ilexa (Buy the official Ross-Tech VCDS / VAG-COM diagnostic tool in the ilexa web shop) which contains a true HEX + CAN USB interface, 2 x 2 Adaptor, 14 pin round LT Adaptor, 3M Usb extension lead. This will be delivered tomorrow. Also have an old P4 HP laptop with XP lying about so I'll use that specifically for the diagnostics.
    It's just arrived now by special delivery. So now here comes the fun.......