Front wheel bearings .....a warning.....

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Last summer the front wheel bearings became very noisy on my A4 so I decided to change them (they are the 75mm pressed-in ones), the car had done 189K which I thought was pretty good.....
It was as cheap to buy a hydraulic press and do the job myself (bearings need pressure in excess of 5 tons to come out) as get a garage to do it, so I bought myself a press off Ebay and some supposedly German Febi-Bilstein bearings.
At the time I was a little unhappy with the 'Febi' bearings as they were not marked with any country of origin, or indeed the Febi name...
These were duly fitted (very carefully) and it was assumed that would be the end of things wrt bearings for as long as I owned the car.....
To cut a long story short the car became noisier and noisier of late, convincing me that the bearings had gone again!
This time though I invested in a pair of Genuine bearings , and put the car in the garage last weekend to get both front suspension legs out again.
On removing each leg and spinning the hub/disc carrier, it was evident that both bearings were as rough as hell (no discernable wear though), the drivers side one being particularly noisy.
These had lasted barely 12k miles/10 months, so you can imagine my displeasure.
The replacement Genuine bearings were installed and now I have a very nice quiet car again.
I might have been the victim of a rogue seller last year,in that the quality must have been crap; I'm convinced I fitted the last ones correctly and that Febi is a good brand.
I'm posting this more as a heads-up to others doing the same job in the future; make sure the bearings are good quality.
Interestingly, though both latest bearings were Genuine, one was an FAG-marked bearing made in Germany, and the other was an Italian SKG one.
Time will tell which one lasts longest!

Christ 5 tonnes. When i did mine the other week we thought it was bad at work that it took a tonne! Suppose thats 189k`s worth of mileage causing that for you. I didnt use a genuine as even at cost to me it was about 40quid so got one from local factors. Hopefully it lasts lol

there was reports in the motor trade press of fake car parts finding there way onto the market from cheap Chinese suppliers and several large motor factors had been caught out, obviously ebay would be a prime source for these. if your were unlucky enough to get caught out be thankful the two examples they used were brake pads made from sawdust and badly welded wishbones!

I fitted febi bearings to the rear of the Quattro last month. They were both marked up with FEBI etched into the casing though.

Hope these last a bit longer than 12k!

I was lucky and got a pair of meyle bearings for £20 postede on ebay. They were genuine.

Its sometimes better to got to an industrial bearings supplier as they are usually cheaper and better quality, the only problem is that you need to remove them first and take with you unless you can get actual bearing numbers as manufacturers part numbers are no good.