Service nightmare!!!!! £££

ajmackie

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi

I've just had my 120k mile service and have been told the following need changing...

All round brakes (although rear disks might be ok)
New cat as the flexi hose is split
CV boot split
Rear exhaust box corroded
and possible valve seal problem as spark plug on cylinder 2 shows oil consumption problem.

So I can do the brakes myself for a £100 parts, who are decent manufacturers so I don't buy crappy bakes?
Can the flexi hose be repaired on the cat or do I need a new one? How much are they?! Seen one for £150 exc VAT and delivery. Can you get cheaper?
And if my engine is using a bit of oil (0.5l every 1200 miles ish), is this damaging the engine - ie do I need to get the valve seals done as it's a £440 job! Could I just try using the thickest grade of oil audi approve of?

Thanks for anyones help as the garage have said the cat would be £350, brakes £340 etc ............. help!!!

Mate,

That aint a nightmare! This is a nightmare.

I took mine it for its 160,000K service (LOL)

Even thought it has been serviced reguralrly - i'm gonna need £1500 quid worth of stuff to get it thru the MOT (audi dealer prices)

AND

a new Clutch and gearbox!? (2200 quid)

£1500 + £2200 = £3,700

Thats a mare!!!!!

AJ - For brakes you could try GSF, think they stock Zimmerman which I have used before and seem to be pretty good. If you use Partco or the like go for Brembo standard replacment discs and maybe some ferrrodo pads.
I cant see why you would need a new cat if the flexi pipe is damaged, The flexi is part of the downpipe and as far as I know the cat and downpipe are seperate parts. Someone correct me if Im wrong but im pretty sure thats the case.

Try Vagparts.com for genuine part prices on the brakes. They might not be that much more expensive to pattern parts.
If the flexi is part of the cat pipe a custom exhaust builder may just weld in a new flexi for you.
If the rear box is knackered it is a great excuse to get a performance one!!
Half a litre of oil per 1200 miles is not necessarily excessive. However, if it is a valve stem seal it is not going to get better and will get gradually worse. It is not doing any damage to your engine as long as you keep an eye on the oil level but your fuel consumption and perhaps a bit of performance will suffer.

Jeff,
I am assuming you are in Bexleyheath?

John

Thanks fr the replies and I agree that manikm wins hands down for nightmares!

I'm going on holiday skiing tomorrow, so will get stuff when I get back.
Very interested in the idea of welding in a new flezi pipe. Madkebab, from what I could tell from looking under the car, the flexi pipe is right next to the cat, ie 3 inches apart, so i reckon it's prop part of that?
QuantumJohn, funny you should mention about fuel consumption, as I have noticed it is bad. I prob get 85 miles out of £10, but then I do a lot of town driving as well. Think I'll just check the sparks in a 1000 miles time. The garage did mention about only filling half way on min-max dipstick so that less pressure is exherted.
Will try vagparts and GSF to see how much!

Thanks guys! Was absolutely gutted when they told me it needed so much spent (a lot to me!), started looking at insurance on a fiesta!! But i adore my car and couldn't do that!!!

guys I thought audi dealers charge a bomb for labour (£95+VAT per hour), but BMW seem to charge even more. Got my bmw service from dealer, they charged £105+VAT an hour. I take it mercs cost even more. So Audi is the cheapest out of the german rivals, but seems to be more unreliable so ends up costin more gettin the fixes done.

hey my cat needs replacing too, but ive got a 1.8 non turbo. So i just need the CAT. Will prob get from eurocarparts or german and swedish. But for what i know, the turbo cat comes with the down pipe attached, where as i just get the CAT. Oh and i think mines is the one without on board diagnostics, unlike the turbo one and newer ones.

by the way audi quoted me about £800 to replace the cat !!!!! kwikfit said £220 - but they are normally crap. Eurocarparts and G&S do it for under 100. Oh and VW and Audi parts do it for £140 - better quality with 2 yr guarantee. http://www.audivwparts.co.uk/

so am still deciding what one to get

How the hell can Audi quote you £800 quid i mean look at the difference in prices that is just crazy!!!! It really p!sses me off this blatant ripping off!

For the parts alone they said £259.99 +VAT for the catalyst and £5.20+VAT for the gasket - as long as my old parts are still recyclable as they want them back. So the rest will be their labour charge. This was from the lee valley audi.

Here is the quote i got from eurocarparts 69.99 for cat and 3.00 for gasket. 1yr/12000 mile guarantee.

It costs quite a lot to hand craft the 4 ring logo onto another manufacturers CAT.

hmmm ....
yaseen i've looked at my cat and i'm pretty darn sure the flexi pipe and cate are 1 piece as they are 3 inches apart from each other. Can't see anyjoings between them so just assume it must be a downpipe, flexi and cat all in one costly pipe!!!
so i'm not too sure now as from what i've seen on parts catalogues, the cat is seperate to the downpipe on pre facelift models, ie mine, but when i look under the car, it looks all one piece!

Do you have the ADR engine? my pipe was replaced before by previous owner so I saw the old one and definately was just the pipe changed- exactly like this pic:
96988-4a_1_b.jpg

maybe different on urs Aj. Normally on the cat outlet there should be bolts where the downpipe is attached.

unfortunately mine ain't that sort. i've looked under my car and the flexi hose is longer and then goes straight into the cat.
I've checked on a '95 A4 and the pipe looks just like the one on that pic.
Think with mine being 01/99 (but prob week before new facelift) they might have used the facelfit cat?

I've looked into the brakes and all looks pretty simple for the brakes.
I need to change the brake hose and was wondering which pipe you need to change. There is a very thick one going into a metal solid pipe and then a thinner one going into a rubber pipe. The metal one goes to what I assume is the ABS pump as there is an electronic plug on it.
Does anyone know which pipe you change? or both?!