probs with starting the car

skinz

Reaction score
hi peeps first time on here just like to say hi to every1 first of
well anyway went an filled up the other day an when i went to start the car it turned over revs went up 2 1000rpm then dropped striaght away an cut out and it just kept doing this so called out rac but when he turned up it fired up(why does this always happen:unsure: well manged to get it home but it keeps doing it, the rac bloke pointed to a black thing on the throttle body which i thought was the idle control valve but some1 told me that my engine dont have 1 so what is this

throttlebody.jpg

The item circled is the connector for the throttle body itself.

The idle control valve is built into the throttle body, and it also contains the position sensor and suchlike.

Sounds more like the immobiliser was cutting the engine, was the orange car symbol flashing when it wouldnt start?

This is a vagcom cable:
VAG COM USB DIAGNOSTIC CABLE 409.1 OBD2 II LEAD VAG-COM | eBay UK

the 1 with the key in it yea it used to flash but then go off, just tried it again still not starting and the car symbol dont flash know just comes on then goes off after a couple of secs, if i take my turbo off cant i still read my faults

Last edited:
could it b the fuel pump, on vauxhalls when u did the first turn of the key just so the dash lights would come on u could hear the fuel pump power up is it the same on the audi

Is the engine cranking normal??? Not even sound as if its gonna start?

Fuel or ignition problem by the sounds of it.

thats what im thinking, its cranking ok its like theres no fuel or spark

Fuel pump should whirr for a few seconds when you first turn the ignition on, certainly does on my TQS, as it pished fuel all over the engine bay the first time i turned the ignition on without the engine fitted.

Pump is under the boot floor, at the back of the seat.

I had trouble with mine for a couple of days, linked out the relay etc and still didnt go, thought it was the pump aswell. Then tried again a day or 2 later and started no problem, wierd one. It was parked on the hill of the drive so maybe the pump is weakening stopping it getting fuel through, but it was facing down!!! Didnt make sense, but cured itself somehow, maybe disturbing the relay helped it.

Id go with the immo as Aragon says mine does it now and again and flashes the key in car symbol, I have to switch off and on ignition, wait few secs then try and it starts fine.

i've looked for the relays but cant find it i did google it and some1 said they dont have a relay it just works of the fuse which is no.28 in the fuse box, i pulled it out an put it back in and it started but the rev's did drop a little but then went back up 900rpm, cant test again yet cause i've took the turbo off now, gonna have another play when i get a new turbo an alternator
where are the relays
also is there a page that tells u what all the warning lights are

Id go with the immo as Aragon says mine does it now and again and flashes the key in car symbol, I have to switch off and on ignition, wait few secs then try and it starts fine.

The immo issue allows the car to start and run for 1-2 secs then conk out, the OP states the car is cranking without starting, not the immo in this case i think. I have same with mine, when ignition is lit i leave till everything checks out then see if the immo light continues to flash, know the car wont stay on if this is the case.

Need to do a spark check once the cars back together, then a fuel pressure check.