Coilover recommendations

B5QUAT

Reaction score
Just bought myself a 1999 B5 1.8T Quattro Sport as a bit of a project. Will be posting up details as I go along soon hopefully.

My first job was to get the thing fully serviced which was done yesterday.

They found a cracked rear spring so, my first investment is going to be a full set of coilovers (was going to do that anyway but it's just jumped up my list a bit)

Anyone got any recommendations of good sets? I want a sporty ride but not one that leaves all my fillings in the driver's side footwell as the roads near me are pretty dire.

Also, while I'm doing this is their anything else I should replace? Top mounts (OEM or uprated), roll bars etc???

Any advice would be cool, thanks!

If you want a good ride, you'll need to spend big money. Eibachs Pro-Street seem to get a good writeup, and seem to be sensibly sprung for road use.
They're nearly a grand though.

I run my A4 on AP coilovers which were £400, to be honest I wasn't expecting them to be much cop but have been pleasantly surprised. They've gone up to £500 now for the set but imho they represent very good value for money and perform in an acceptable fashion.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've been looking at the APs as they seem reasonable money. I've got a reasonable budget to spend on the car (around 3 grand) so the Eibachs are achievable but would take a big chunk out of the funds to spend on wheels, engine, brakes etc.

Re the APs, do you use the car day to day? Is it much harder than OEM? I used to have an Impreza with Tein coilovers which were nearly a grand as well but superb on the road for day to day use, but earlier on I had a cheaper Bilstein setup (before the PSS9s came out) and that was awful. I used to wince at every speed bump! Don't want that again.

My A4 us my daily driver and is also used for work visiting civil engineering sites all over the county. Yes the ride is stiffer and bumper than normal springs and dampers but not to a level where it annoys. My girlfriend isn't interested in cars but says my car is bumpy but not to an uncomfortable degree. Depending where you are you'd be more than welcome to have a poke around my car.

Oh cheers. I'm near Oldham in Greater Manchester. Yeah I'm prepared to put up with a bit of harshness, so they sound ideal. Just been looking at the Eibach stuff on JBS's website. It's £850 so I'm just debating if it's worth the £350 extra over APs. Be great if you are local to me and I could have a passenger ride before deciding.