'01 A4 1.8T Sport Avant Auto - Blown Turbo

Keyser Soze

Reaction score
So bits in hand, tools at the fore, coffee & nicotine fuelled, off I started this morning to get me the offending cacked turbo off the car.

Firstly dropped off the bumper skin so car was then like this

photo1-1.jpg

Then set about removing the airbox

photo2-1.jpg

Once the airbox was off, then disconnected the all elec connections for the fan, aircon rad pressure switch, dropped the headlights off, disconnected the bonnet release cable and then removed the bumper shocks.

At this point the heavens opened, so good old party garden gazebo was put up over & above me to afford some shelter.

Dropped the radiator off after disconnecting the auto box oil cooler lines, then dropped off the front slam panel and the air feed to the turbo. Low & behold the turbo was looking a little worse for wear

photo12.jpg

Then pulled the offending turbo out after disconnecting the oil feed, oil return, coolant in & out lines and the intercooler feed.

photo23.jpg

After pulling the turbo out, it was blindingly obvious why it had failed. The rear scroll was "dancing" about inside the housing. The bearing had obviously collapsed no doubts to oil starvation. The bad & ugly sludge monster sure has hit this engine. The breather line was choked and the two rubber hoses at either end were goosed aswell. Will need to order new on Monday from the dealers.

photo22.jpg

photo11.jpg

So have new oil feed & return lines to fit and a new breather line.

Tomorrow, will drop the sump off, strip off the strainer and also fit a new pump.

After this, reseal the sump with high temp silicone, fit the new turbo, fit a new 710N & N75 & rebuild the front end. Once that's done new oil filter, drop in lots of lurverly fresh Castrol Edge 5W-30, fit a new expansion tank, fresh G12, new fuel filter, new plugs. Only problem is that I cannot test the car out until I get the three poxy pipes from the dealers.
evil.gif

Dont use 5w30 oil. Its too thin.

5w40 is what you want, Quantum Platinum from your local VW or Audi dealer does the job and its cheap too!

Dont use 5w30 oil. Its too thin.

5w40 is what you want, Quantum Platinum from your local VW or Audi dealer does the job and its cheap too!

I work for BP Lubricants (Castrol) and we manufacture the Quantum oils alongside many other OEM badged oils.

Edge 5W-30 is what's in my other beast and (touch wood) it's been ok for me. As a side I do have 15L of Millers Oils 5W-40 fully synthetic as well (freebie trade samples!!!!!) so when I do come to filling the beastie next weekend I might end up using that as a first feed for a week or so prior to draining and putting in the Edge stuff.

Did you not have to remove the AC Compressor? is there anything i need to watch out for when taking the turbo off? not done a 1.8T, just a TDi.... though i suspect the only real difference is the coolant lines...

No need to touch the AC compressor. You find it best to remove the whole front end & slam panel for access. Not meaning to teach you how to suck eggs but ensure that all is drained in terms of coolant & oil.

Firstly though, ensure that the airbox is removed. The two bolts at the top of the rear of the turbo are easy enough to get off, the lower one is a right royal pita, so a 17mm stubby spanner is of great benefit, but to afford greater access get the car on axle stands and with a 3/8" or 1/2" drive ratchet long extension, u/j and 17mm socket get in under and then attack the bolt. Also bear in mind that the turbo is also supported on a cross memeber bolted to the engine block. Another thing to bear in mind is at the upper manifold mounts (x3) for the turbo, the oil feed line could foul your access, unbolt it. & Lastly bear in mind the block to turbo coolant line, this is on a 6mm hex key banjo joint.

Last edited:
It'll work, and its what audi specify for cars on long life servicing, but that doesnt change the fact that its too thin.

It gets far too thin when the oil temps get high (ie when your giving it some) causing the oil pressure to drop. You'll probably see a drop in oil temps switching to 40weight oil too.

If you want to use castrol oil, Castrol do an EDGE 5w40 or an EDGE Sport 0w40, both of which will be fine.

After being away all week on business, with great thanks to Byzan A4's thread on sump removal with the engine set in the car ( http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-...s-can-done-without-taking-engine-out-yes.html ), I set about taking the sump out to clean the strainer, baffle and replace the oil pump on the ebony A4 AWT that I'm currently resurrecting with a new turbo, oil lines, discs & pads,

What a f***ing PITA of a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But with a great deal of patience (& time) it eventually came out. And what a mess!!!!!!

photo.jpg

So the sump, baffle & pick up/strainer received a thorough going over with oodles of Gunk prior to being dropped in the dishwasher on an intensive cycle.

In the meantime, have fitted a new oil pump, the first step in ensuring a forceful clean oil supply to the new turbo. Also new timing belt fitted and new alternator belt, tensioner & AC belt & tensioner.

photo2-3.jpg

The heavens then decided to open, so all was packed away and the car will be worked on again on Monday evening, the nice clean sump will be fitted back up with fresh silicone sealant.

Will be glad when I get the car back on the road again. Also have me a set of 17" Avus to fit. No rest for the wicked or there again I do admit that this is all self inflicted pleasure!!!!! :w00t:

Last edited:
Oki doki, finally got some me time today so set about on the car again.

Put the sump back on (again what an ffin pig to do, arms clattered in black high temp silicone) then once all the sump bolts were torqued up started on the turbo.

Fitted the new turbo complete with the new oil feed & oil return lines.

photo13.jpg

(one new turbo phew!!!!)

Once the turbo was back in and the oil return line fitted to the sump, primed up the turbo with oil then connected all back up. Then set about the plumbing!!!! Fitted a new N75, a new 710N, new crancase breather line and used all new Marine S/Steel Mikalor hose clamps. Also fitted new air filter, spark plugs and oi filter whilst I was at it.

photo24.jpg

So once all that was back on, refitted the intercooler cross member then as time was getting on, started to pack up leaving me with the rad & front end rebuild to do on Monday.

So Monday's work will consist of finishing off the front end, filling up with oil, new G12 coolant and then a VAGCOM scan prior to starting up. Once that's done then set on to changing the pads & discs for the Brembo Max items that I have as well as the change to ATE Super Blue fluid. Then fit the newly refurbed 17" Avus. So hopefully come monday evening, the Ebony avant will be back on the road!

Looking good there Kev, be good to see the hard work pay off :)

Though have you thought of replacing the fabric vac lines with silicone? Just thought as you still have the front end off, it would be easier access to the 710 and 75 valves, before they inevitably fail later :)

There's only the one fabric coated silicone line from the inlet manifold to the 710N and that's in pretty reasonable condition and the vac lines off the N75 are already in grey Audi oem silicone.

There's a new N75 & 710N fitted so theoretically they should be ok from here on in.

Like you say Rob, cant wait to enjoy the fruits of my labour. Only problem is that me time is getting in short supply

Indeed, im looking forward to trying out some new things when my next bulk of ebay/internet purchases arrives :racer: should be interesting

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm ffin peed off, fed up and had enough........

Finally got everything back together today, VCDS scanned & cleared codes, started up and lo & behold the thing's still schmoking....... I dare say that it'll be down to any oil remnants in the cat & exhaust from the old failed turbo but then there's something a bit more alarming to me, it was blowing from around the turbo but I couldnt see where from. Needless to say I am fcked off. :crying::sign_omg:

I'm that p*ssed off that I've decided enough is enough and it'll be up on ebay soon enough alongside a whole load of other bits, the 17" Avus wheels that I was gonna fit and a brand new set of smoked rear lights direct from Germany that I've not even had out of the box. Will be putting something in the for sale section firstly.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-a...dyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-225-45-r17-94y.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-a...00-a4-symphony-double-din-head-unit-code.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-a...ift-centre-frame-double-din-radio-pocket.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-audi-parts/121358-sale-a4-lower-door-moulding-set-new-unused.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-a...celift-drivers-side-headlight-new-unused.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-a...4-avant-smoked-rear-light-set-new-unused.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-a...facelift-foglights-left-right-new-unused.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-a...-front-brake-discs-front-pads-new-unused.html

Last edited: